• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Root Beer Ale

Started by Dave Savoie, February 02, 2011, 02:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Savoie

6.25Lbs Maris Otter
2.2 Lbs Flaked Barley
2 Lbs Wheat
US-05

* 1 vanilla bean
    * 1 (5-inch) licorice root, broken into pieces
    * 3/4 cup chopped dried sarsaparilla root
    * 2 tablespoons dried sassafras root bark
    * 1 tablespoon chopped dried burdock root
    * 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
    * 3 heads star anise
    * 3 quarts distilled water (12 cups)
    * 2 cups lightly packed dark brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon molasses
    * 2 (1/8-inch-wide) strips of orange zest
    * 1/8 teaspoon ale yeast (also called brewer's yeast)

Based on my calculations one would have to multiply the ingredients by 9 to make 23L
But multiplying by 9 seems a bit High for some of the spices any input would be cool !!

My thoughts are to add all the Spices and such to a food processor then cold steep them for a few days or would it be better to use Vodka to extract the spices ?
Charter Member

Shawn

I'm a little confused.... multiply everything by 9 for a 5-gallon batch... you mean 9 vanilla beans? I've never used these in brewing before, but from what I've read I understand that usually 1 bean in a 5-gallon batch is "enough".

Seems like a lot of spices to me... I'd be worried it would just result in a muddled mess.

Dave Savoie

This recipe is based on 4 22oz bottles

* 1 vanilla bean
* 1 (5-inch) licorice root, broken into pieces
* 3/4 cup chopped dried sarsaparilla root
* 2 tablespoons dried sassafras root bark
* 1 tablespoon chopped dried burdock root
* 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
* 3 heads star anise
* 3 quarts distilled water (12 cups)
* 2 cups lightly packed dark brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon molasses
* 2 (1/8-inch-wide) strips of orange zest
* 1/8 teaspoon ale yeast (also called brewer's yeast)
Charter Member

Shawn

Is this originally a recipe for beer, or is it for homemade root beer, and you're thinking of altering it to make rootbeer beer?

Richard

Assuming a US gallon & quart, 5 (US) gallons would be 5 * 4/3 = 6 2/3, not 9. A 6-gallon US (5gal IMP) batch would be 6 * 4/3 = 8.

Also 4 * 22oz is 88oz, whereas 3 quarts is 96oz...

I'm not really confident either way on the spice issue, although it stands to reason that if the baseline calls for an amount a scaled up version would call for an equal scaling... the various ingredients in this aren't what comes to mind when I think of "spices". Although now I think about it, I'm not sure what else you'd call something like vanilla.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Dave Savoie

This is a Root beer recipe  not Ale but was thinking of making an Ale out of it kind of a session beer 4% ABV would end up being similar in color to a brown Ale almost no hop bitterness just creamy root beer goodness.
Charter Member

Dave Savoie

88 oz = 2.6024706125 L

2.6024706125 X 9 = 23.42 L
Charter Member

Shawn

Quote from: "Dave Savoie"88 oz = 2.6024706125 L

2.6024706125 X 9 = 23.42 L

Richard is assuming 5 U.S. gallon, which is 19 L (roughly)... Dave is assuming 5 Imperial gallons, roughly 23 L, hence the discrepancy.

Right?

Shawn

Quote from: "Dave Savoie"This is a Root beer recipe  not Ale but was thinking of making an Ale out of it kind of a session beer 4% ABV would end up being similar in color to a brown Ale almost no hop bitterness just creamy root beer goodness.

I have no experience with anything like this, but in my opinion, dumping all those spices into a beer, much less 9 times that amount... I just can't see that being too tasty.

But, if you do it, I'm sure we'd be interested to hear about the results.

Dave Savoie

Yup id call this some form of Malt Liquor

I do think it would be possible to get a really tasty beer with those spices and additives  

MMMM BBQ ribs and a large frothy glass of alcoholic root beer mmmmm good

This recipe came from 2006 BYO article
Charter Member

Shawn

Quote from: "Dave Savoie"Yup id call this some form of Malt Liquor

I do think it would be possible to get a really tasty beer with those spices and additives  

MMMM BBQ ribs and a large frothy glass of alcoholic root beer mmmmm good

This recipe came from 2006 BYO article

I figured it was from BYO... reminded me of their Jolly Rancher beer recipe.

Vodka + Root Beer = Alcoholic root beer   ;)

Dave Savoie

Charter Member

Shawn

Ha, true.

But, 6 cups of chopped dried sarsaparilla root? Does it have to be grown under a full moon, and washed with the blood of a virgin goat?  ;)

Richard

Quote from: "Richard"Assuming a US gallon & quart, [...] 6-gallon US (5gal IMP) batch would be 6 * 4/3 = 8.

Dave was going off post-boil, whereas I was going off pre-boil. My numbers were using the 3 quarts given in the recipe, not the 88oz resulting after the boil. The recipe assumes about 8% boil-off... the difference between 96oz and 88oz.

(dave's right with the 9x -- my bad)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Shawn

Quote from: "Richard"
Quote from: "Richard"Assuming a US gallon & quart, [...] 6-gallon US (5gal IMP) batch would be 6 * 4/3 = 8.

Dave was going off post-boil, whereas I was going off pre-boil. My numbers were using the 3 quarts given in the recipe, not the 88oz resulting after the boil. The recipe assumes about 8% boil-off... the difference between 96oz and 88oz.

(dave's right with the 9x -- my bad)

My cat's breath smells like cat food.