• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Keg hopping

Started by robcoombs, October 09, 2015, 07:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcoombs

I'm going to brew a double IPA soon and I was thinking about using half of my dry hop addition to keg hop. Just wondering how and what you put the hops in so they dont end up in your glass.

Roger

When I do keg hopping I use whole leaf hops and I've made a filter that fits on the end of a sanke spear. But if you're using a  corny keg and pellet hops than I think some kind of bag or container like a large tea ball or one of those SS mesh cylinders would work just fine.

DeMerch

I often use panyhose from the dollar store. I've also got a fancy SS mesh thing.

On my next batch I'm going to switch to this technique: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09/how-i-dry-hop-my-ipas-with-no-oxygen.html
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

Jake

You can dry-hop in kegs but from what I've read on HBT & Probrewr, dryhopping below a certain temp (i think it's around 60f degrees) takes a while to get same results - many saying dryhopping at fridge temps not nearly as effective as dryhopping at fermentation temps ... not to say you couldn't dry hop in keg at room temp for a couple days before you put in your fridge.
President of the NBCBA

robcoombs

I think I'll try keg hopping for 5-7 days before transferring to the fridge to carbonate. Just need to order a screen for the dip tube. Or use a muslin bag I guess.

blisster

I found a couple of "Trudeau" travel tea mugs at ValueVillage... The stainless mesh baskets in them are perfect for corny keg hopping, they hold 2+ ounce pellet hops each and the lids seal well.

The mugs can be found on ebay or amazon for quite cheap, def worth it. I far prefer those over the keg/carboy dry hopping mesh cylinders.

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

jamie_savoie

that's a great find and idea Pierre!  thanks for sharing  :cheers:

robcoombs

Quote from: blisster on October 09, 2015, 04:08:50 PM
I found a couple of "Trudeau" travel tea mugs at ValueVillage... The stainless mesh baskets in them are perfect for corny keg hopping, they hold 2+ ounce pellet hops each and the lids seal well.

The mugs can be found on ebay or amazon for quite cheap, def worth it. I far prefer those over the keg/carboy dry hopping mesh cylinders.

Do you suspend yours in some way or just drop them in the bottom?

blisster

I just drop them in... It can't clog the out tube like a muslim bag might.

The only down side is you can't pull it back once it's in there but I don't see why you would need to?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

DeMerch

Quote from: blisster on October 21, 2015, 05:36:52 PMThe only down side is you can't pull it back once it's in there but I don't see why you would need to?

You need to pull them or face the overpowering taste of grass that hops impart after 7 days + 1 minute of dry hopping!
@DeMerch 2 - @Two Wheeler 1

blisster

You just have to drink the keg within 7 days  :drunk: