Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question on bucket fermentation  (Read 10061 times)

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
Re: Question on bucket fermentation
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »
I got my buckets from Vinter's for 2.50 each (with a lid) - I drilled my lids with a spade bit and haven't had any issues... just drill slow with a 2x4 underneath...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:09 PM »
I have been considering on of these from everwood.

With this you can close the top tightly but it still allows for the CO2 to be release.  I am getting tired of blow off tubs and won;t to possible start top cropping of yeast.  That being said, has anypne top cropped yeast before and then stored it for future use?

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/clearbrew-32-litre-fermentation-pail/

Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
I've used both ways with a bucket and with a carboy. I prefer the carboy for several reasons. One being I can watch the fermentation in action this helps me know when the krausen drops I can rack the beer to a secondary. I like glass because its competly inert and will clean very well. I find if you use hot water in a bucket it seams to open little pores and starts to stain quicker. The up side to plastic buckets is they're cheep, hard to break and light weight. The down side in my opinion is they stain, higher risk of infection from bacteria being caught in small scratches and imperfections on the inside of the bucket, and I hate the idea of more plastic shit everywhere. That being said I've used plastic buckets for many many years without any problems and always with an airlock.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »

With this you can close the top tightly but it still allows for the CO2 to be release.  I am getting tired of blow off tubs and won;t to possible start top cropping of yeast.  That being said, has anypne top cropped yeast before and then stored it for future use?

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/product/clearbrew-32-litre-fermentation-pail/

I have 4 of these buckets and they’re great.  The handles are a bit weak though.  I rarely need a blowoff since there’s alot of headspace.  Cleaning is a breeze as compared to white buckets (or carboy)

I’ve started to do top cropping for the last 2 months or so and I love it.  It’s great if you want to brew 2 recipes in a row and use the same yeast.  I would top crop 3-4 times during active fermentation and pitch that into the next brew.  Usually they start in a few hours.  I also like to do it for hoppy beer that I want to save the yeast, it gives me a chance to save the yeast before I start dry hopping because the oil can coat the cell walls and inhibit cell budding.  Another plus is that the saved yeast almost has zero trubs

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
I've used both ways with a bucket and with a carboy. I prefer the carboy for several reasons.

Honestly I like the carboy as well, glass is always better I believe. The only reason I dont use carboys more often is you have to be more careful with them and they are harder to clean.

Some of my buckets have some pretty dark stains on them, but I think they make the beer taste better... :party:

Waterlogged, I have a couple of those 32L buckets, I use them for measuring mostly, but the are great fermenters as well... If they weren't so much more expensive than the buckets I get at Vinters I would have more of them...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
To echo everyone else, I use both also... my buckets are worn and some are stained enough that I will only use them when I have to, otherwise Ill stick with Carboys... I fill my carboys with oxyclean for a couple days and they come out spotless every time with very little effort!

Im like Brew I mostly use those buckets for measuring water... You can get those 32L buckets from co-op on the southside for 20-25 bucks too

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »

Those look nice. The fella from Shiretown up in Charlo uses these.

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »
To echo everyone else, I use both also... my buckets are worn and some are stained enough that I will only use them when I have to, otherwise Ill stick with Carboys... I fill my carboys with oxyclean for a couple days and they come out spotless every time with very little effort!

Im like Brew I mostly use those buckets for measuring water... You can get those 32L buckets from co-op on the southside for 20-25 bucks too

You get these exact ones or another type??
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
They look pretty similar to me.. I have 4 or 5 of them... 32 L clear-ish plastic and like Jamie said, weak handles.

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

This is the type that came with my kit.
Lee

Offline brynn

• Junior Poster
    • Two Saints Brewing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »
Vinters Cellar sells buckets with lids for $2.50. Sometimes they have holes, sometimes they dont. At that price I just get a new one every couple of batches

Brynn
Two Saints Brewing
Planning: Chocolate Maple Smoked Porter
Primary: India Black Ale, Cider, More Cider
Bottle conditioning: 11.3% Winter Warmer
Drinking: SMaSH Express Pale Ale, Sandrino's Best Bitter Colabo w/Hop tea @ Kegging