Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: malt conditioning  (Read 2452 times)

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
malt conditioning
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
So for my last 2 brews I tried this technique and from now on it will be a standard procedure for me.  Makes the perfect crush with most of the husk still intact, to the point that at first I thought my mill wasn’t working.  Make my typical grain bill about 25% fluffier.   Last night I brewed a wheat beer with 56% wheat in it with almost no rice hulls and I’m pretty sure I would’ve been fine without it.  I’m hooked!   :rock:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malt_Conditioning

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: malt conditioning
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
I thought about giving this a try but I was a little hesitant. Now that I know someone is having success with it I think I'll give it a go.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
the first time I tried it I waited 12h before milling and yesterday I waited 3h before milling.  Both worked but the 12h wait had a better crush

Offline Granty

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »
I do this regularly as well.  I got the OBK grain crusher and even with a feeler gauge, it was closing a bit when I secured it, so my gap is more like .030.   I gave it a go and got a stuck sparge my first brew with it (of course), so found this process and have not had stuck sparge issues since so I haven't bothered readjusting the gap.  A wheat would probably be pushing it though, so I think I will readjust before I do one.

I only leave it for 10 minutes as its enough time to soak into the husk, but you don't want the water absorbing into the core.