Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Delabeling Picaroons Bottles  (Read 8905 times)

Offline brynn

• Junior Poster
    • Two Saints Brewing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Delabeling Picaroons Bottles
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:18:50 PM »
Anybody have a goof way to get picaroons labels off?
Brynn
Two Saints Brewing
Planning: Chocolate Maple Smoked Porter
Primary: India Black Ale, Cider, More Cider
Bottle conditioning: 11.3% Winter Warmer
Drinking: SMaSH Express Pale Ale, Sandrino's Best Bitter Colabo w/Hop tea @ Kegging

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
Re: Delabeling Picaroons Bottles
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »
I used to let them soak in a pail of water overnight with some vinegar in it... came off pretty easy after that...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Evil Jalapeno

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
The glue they use leaves quite a mess on the bottles. I stopped delabeling altogether, as I think it's a waste of time, but I'll still give the water/vinegar tip a try.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
I have a dozen or so pic's bottles for anyone that wants them - some with no labels...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
By far the easiest way I've found to get the sticky mess off is with lighter fluid like zippo or the stuff in the yellow bottle (Ronsonol) . You put a couple drops on one corner lift that corner and hold the lable with one hand and drip some fluid with the other letting the weight of the bottle pull the label right off. Then use a little fluid on some paper towel to remove the rest of the glue. Or you could scrape it off then use some lighter fluid to remove the sticky glue that's left. Either way the lighter fluid works the best to take the sticky glue off. I've tried everything from alcohol to acetone even gas nothing seems to work as good as the lighter fluid.
 :cheers:

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
Soak them in hot water with oxy-clean overnight - works great from what I remember
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
I used to cut an X in the label, and soak them in a strong "pink stuff" water bath overnight.  you'll find the labels are mostly off in the morning.  A lot of work...
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
Soak them in hot water with oxy-clean overnight - works great from what I remember
Well I just tried the oxy clean in a pail of hot water and sure enough the lable came of no problem. I'm gonna need to try the vinegar and pink stuff next. The lables come off regular beer bottles with just hot water and dish soap so when that didn't work I went straight for the solvents. This method takes a little longer but I prefer it to my last post using lighter fuild. Not that I intended on delabeling bottles any time soon since I'm building a kegerator but it's nice to know the best way of doing it. The lighter fluid is still great for cleaning sticky messes off things you can't soak or don't have time.
Great tip kyle.
 :cheers:

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 12:09:13 PM »
Wouldn't use dish soap for anything related to beer. Nothing, not even my beer glasses.
Oxy is the way to go to de-label and cleaning activities. That's just my preference.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
Wouldn't use dish soap for anything related to beer. Nothing, not even my beer glasses.
I’m curious to know your reasons?  I never use the dish washer for my glasses and wash with soap and then rinse.   Even my oldest glass looks brand new

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
I should probably say that not using dish soap is my preference.

- Many dish soaps are oil based. Oil and soap residue can affect the quality and appearance of your beer because they interfere with head retention, causing the beer foam to dissipate rapidly.

- Some soaps will counter-act with sanitizers, making them useless.

This is debatable. As stated above, it's a preference.
Organic or not organic, I'm sure most people who wash with with dish soap, rinse really well with hot water, and have no problems.
Many people use the dishwasher too - never had a problem with head retention and their glasses are spotless.
Some folks will say that it's the post soap rinse that really matters. Not the fact that a person uses soap.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
I soak my bottles in very hot water, then peel the paper off. To get the glue off I rub extra virgin olive oil on the area and let it sit for about 30 minutes. After that the glue comes off fairly easily.