Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BRU-V Protection  (Read 4545 times)

Offline jdueck

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Experimental brewing, crafted in small batches.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
BRU-V Protection
« on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
Interesting, but how long do people let their beer sit in the sun  :o :shakes:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254406714/bru-v-protection?ref=recently_launched
Primary #1 - Empty
Primary #2 - Empty
Primary #3 - Empty
Primary #4 - Empty

Secondary #1- Wheat  (Tangerine and coriander)
Secondary #2 - Dry cider
Secondary #3 - Cream ale fermented with M27
Secondary #4 - Cream ale fermented with M07
Secondary #5 - Merlot

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: BRU-V Protection
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
I've noticed large scale lagers go skunky on a patio before, especially happy hours on Dolan's patio in the height of summer with 2 for 1. The second glass could get a bit skunky.

Not sure there's a huge market here though...
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
Interesting, but how long do people let their beer sit in the sun  :o :shakes:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254406714/bru-v-protection?ref=recently_launched

Good marketing idea but completely pointless...

I'm not a engineer or chemist but if you are worried about your beer going skunky before you can drink it (and don't want to drink out of the can or already UV protected bottle), I'm pretty sure a mug or one of those red plastic cups would do just the same...  :frazzled:

UV protected carboy or one of those patio beer dispensing towers maybe?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
Dunno, but unless you also put a UV protected cover over the glass, you are only reducing the surface of what the sunlight can hit the beer on. Still going to shine down on the top of the beer.

I sat out on my back deck in direct sunlight last weekend while brewing up the next batch, and with the sun and the heat, the beers we were drinking (in normal glasses) would loose their chill fairly quickly, but even over a period of 15-30 mins, they would warm up, but never went skunky. Anyone leaving their beer un drunk for longer than that needs to hurry up. Don't see this as an issue here, maybe in warmer climates possibly, but still.

I would think that the glass would actually hurt your beer sales, as the beer will last longer, therefore people buy less, kinda shooting themselves in the foot me thinks.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
Dunno, but unless you also put a UV protected cover over the glass, you are only reducing the surface of what the sunlight can hit the beer on. Still going to shine down on the top of the beer.

I sat out on my back deck in direct sunlight last weekend while brewing up the next batch, and with the sun and the heat, the beers we were drinking (in normal glasses) would loose their chill fairly quickly, but even over a period of 15-30 mins, they would warm up, but never went skunky. Anyone leaving their beer un drunk for longer than that needs to hurry up. Don't see this as an issue here, maybe in warmer climates possibly, but still.

I would think that the glass would actually hurt your beer sales, as the beer will last longer, therefore people buy less, kinda shooting themselves in the foot me thinks.
I think people would prefer to see what the beer looks like too. I've never had a beer go skunky in the time it takes to drink it. Also the beer if served ice cold will hide some of the potential off flavours. If it tastes skunky warm it was likely there before it warmed up a bit.

Offline Alamode

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
Hey guys, first I wanted to say I appreciate everyone's comments regarding BRU-V!! I come from a brewing background, and this is a product that I always wanted, because your beer is going skunky incredibly fast. Mind you, it does depend a lot on the flavour profile of the beer to begin with to tell how "off" it will take after a few seconds. After many blind taste tests with a brewmaster from Black Oak as well as many so-called beer geeks, the BRU-V glass does keep your beer from going skunky. A Steanwhistle for instance, which is a pilsner you can notice a distinct difference within about 5-10 seconds. Also, yes there is some light getting in through the top, but typically in the afternoon the sun has started to drop down towards the horizon, and after 1-2 sips the beer is low enough below the rim that unless it is high noon at the equator your beer is safe. We have some fun prototypes made for the glasses.

Anyways - any questions / feedback and I'd be happy to try and help! We are getting our first shipment of 15-25 samples this week so we can press on with more tasting. We have been using our single handblown pint glass as our only glass for now! Who knew handblown glasses would be so expensive!! Cheers

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:45 AM »
I take it this is your product? I appreciate the fact your trying to sell this. I think most of us find it to be an interesting product but not worth it. If you like you could send us some samples for testing and we could provide feedback for your product.  :cheers: