• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Steam Beer Punk

Started by Richard, November 06, 2011, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Somewhat inspired by the flavour Dean got out of his S-23 (it reminded me of anchor steam), I'm going to deliberately abuse the yeast for a steam beer. Don't have any Northern Brewer so I'm using Nugget instead. The recipe is incredibly simple.

11lbs 2-row
0.5lbs Cara-Munich 2
0.5lbs Carafoam

0.5oz Nugget 12% @ 60
0.5oz Nugget 12% @ 15
0.5oz Nugget 12% @ 0

Whirlfloc @ 0 (whirlpool before CFC)

4 gallons mash @ 148F, 4 gallons sparge @ 168F.

Safale S-23 - Ferment at 16C, leave at same temperature for a few weeks, cold crash, keg, serve.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Richard

The S-23 goes through a phase fermenting at 16C where it absolutely _reeks_ of rotten eggs - must be the DMS. I blamed it on our dog until I tracked it back to the source - stink bomb material for sure. Smelled fine when I took a wiff this morning, so I'm not concerned about any residual stank in the beer.
Charter Member

Thomas

I was going to try an experimental warm brewed lager at 20C, but that might be way out of S-23's range.  How are you controlling fermentation temp? I also heard the same thing about Kolsch yeast, they throw off a tonne of sulfur during primary fermentation and take an additional few weeks to clean themselfs up when brewing at higher temps. How long are you planning to primary?

Richard

Primary for a week or two after visible fermentation has stopped, transfer to secondary, lager for a month depending on how samples taste, carb, serve.

The packet lists up to 24C but lists 12-15 as optimal; this being a steam beer I've obviously overshot that. Temperature is just as-is within my brew-room, which I've seen floating between 15C and 17C (night/day) in the last couple of weeks - I figured I'd just let it roll on ambient and see what happens.
Charter Member