• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Mash temp

Started by sdixon, November 03, 2011, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdixon

So I've been wondering about optimal mash temps lately and I just noticed Kyle posted a recipe with a 155F mash temp. Since Beta Amylase is denatured after ~ 150F, what is that doing to the attenuation (and maltose produced)? Is there enough of a buffer in the time to denature the enzymes? So you get appropriate attenuation in the mash? I understand that even at 150F, after 1hr, you will only have 10% efficiency. Thoughts?

Beer scholars... what say you? :)
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Richard

The denaturing isn't immediate, I've read 40-60 minutes at 149F for beta to denature.

These are a couple of the best resources I found online regarding mashing parameters:
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.ph ... on_mashing
http://technocosm.org/brew/brewout-pt2.html
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Dean

there's all that fancy fuckin mumbo-jumbo again

Jake

Just tell me what temp to mash at that works just fine for me. I'm like a puppet
President of the NBCBA

Richard

Charter Member

Dean

just like a parrot ..."braaap ..155 ...braaaap"

Dean

you ever get one of those pfishing emails that's just one huge run-on paragraph of nothing but key words .....that's what these technical threads start sounding like to the non-geek in the crowd  :shakes:  :shakes:  akimbo

Richard

hmm... maybe a separate forum is in order?

No getting away from this stuff, but we can at least put up a warning sign or something.
Charter Member

JohnQ

Just one thing to say....

I
Did
Not
Put
Them
Up
To
This!

:cheers:
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Richard

Nah it's a recurring theme... having information be accessible to non-geeks is important, but I'm no good at that. I'm not so much saying this stuff needs to be simple, but it does need to be accessible. I wanted the wiki to be a resource of that type, but it's pretty much empty at the moment and I never seem to have the time to fix that situation.

Maybe need to put some time together for a few people to sit down and write some entries... mashing minus enzymes, hop utilisation minus isomerisation, yeast minus metabolism, etc.

I'll start another thread.
Charter Member

Jake

Here's a rule. If you never knew the word before high school, avoid using around Dean and I
President of the NBCBA

sdixon

:geek:  lol, well good responses one and all. I've tasted a bunch of the "non-geek" beers and they are damn tasty, so I agree we don't have to geek out to brew good bear. My interest is to be able to understand more so I can dial in my recipes with more accuracy and precision. I like to know what is going on behind the wizards curtain ;-)
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Dean

we know that but it's too much fun to make fun of Richard!

Richard

Charter Member

DandyMason

hahaha Might as well include me in the "puppets" group... I usually skip over words that are too long... That wiki page is sounding great Richard, cant see myself being much help but who knows, let me know