• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Grain to Glass in Seven Days

Started by Shawn, August 27, 2011, 06:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

indeed, I notice a huge at a month from brew day if its been in primary for three weeks, its very good.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Kyle

Well, here is my 7 day grain-to-glass experiment:

Day 1: Brew pale ale, pitch yeast (S-04), add an ounce of dry hops, attach spunding valve set at about 6psi
Day 4: put in fridge to cold crash, hook up the C02, set to 30 psi
Day 5: test C02 level
Day 6: transfer cold, carbonated beer under pressure to serving keg, with the spunding valve put on the gas port of the serving keg to prevent foaming
Day 7: serve at meeting...  If its good.

Edit: this was very good beer at 6 days, and the keg was drained about 10 days later.

One of the best pale ales I've had to date was 7 days old, brewed by JohnQ using his interpretation of my Lite Summer Ale recipe (he doubled the hops).
Charter Member

Jake

Question. When I'm carbing the beer up to 30psi, do I do so in the out tube? or should i take off the valve and carb to via the in valve to 30psi and then re-attach. If I hook it up to the out valve, will beer shoot up into my CO2?
President of the NBCBA

Kyle

definately take the spunding valve off, and use that port. Otherwise the potential for a beer gyser is too great. At that point, you really don't need the spunding valve anyways, since it should be done.
Charter Member