• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Summer Citrus Wheat

Started by brew, July 07, 2011, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Kyle

congrats on going all grain! Looks very good.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Richard

Yup, definitely looks good. I'd be curious to see what the ringwood brings to the table in this one.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

brew

Yeah should be interesting - got some airlock activity at around 12 or 13 hours so the starter must have worked!
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Dave Savoie

Just an opinion I would soak some Orange zest in some Vodka and add after fermentation has completed as the 1 OZ you added with 5 min left in the boil will lend no flavor due to fermentation eating it all up but thats just me :P
Charter Member

brew

Interesting - so the dried orange peel would be mostly sugar(s) then? Maybe soak another 1 oz in say a couple oz's of vodka?
NBCBA Treasurer

Dave Savoie

I would get a few more opinions then proceed :P
Charter Member

brew

Good think I checked on this earlier this afternoon, needs a blow off tube!
NBCBA Treasurer

Shawn

That's a fair amount of sweet orange peel (I'm assuming you mean the dried...?)... I don't think all the flavor will be out of your beer. The later you add it in the boil, the better, but 5 minutes is a very reasonable time, assuming your wort was cooled fairly quickly.

Fermentation doesn't scrub out flavor/aroma as much as you'd think. Late hop/spice additions can still add quite a bit of both, depending on the beer.

pliny

To add a bit to Shawn's; you will get some decent citrus with your hop bill (Cascade, Cascade, Cascade).

Richard

Yeah I find that the flavour doesn't get blown off - aroma does to a large degree, though.
Charter Member

brew

So this finished super cloudy  :(  I did put it in the fridge for a couple of days but - nothin - still pea soup. It has CO2 in it now, but I've taken it out of the fridge and gassing off the carb...

Tastes like it looks... a bit "orangy" but bitter and thick - perhaps there is some pith in the orange peel from Scoop and Save?

Must be the orange peel - I'm going to try and clear it - going to put some pectin enzyme and then gelatin. Maybe the enzyme for a couple of days first - wonder if I should try putting it back into the fermentor or just leave it in the keg?
NBCBA Treasurer

Richard

Avoid oxidising it (as a transfer would potentially cause). Only reason to move to a carboy would be for visual, but you can probably manage that with a wine thief or whatever.
Charter Member

Kyle

The wheat can also cause alot of cloudiness. Did you use whirlfloc? I find that at least 1/2 tab of it is the most effective way to prevent opaqueness in wheat beers that are done grain to glass relatively quickly.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

brew

Indeed with this batch I did forget the whirlfloc... so I added the pectin enzyme (2 tsp) for about 4 days - nothin - then added gelatin and it cleared significantly - it now looks like a wheat beer (some haze, but more what you'd see in a Garrison wheat). I also forgot it after hooking it up to the CO2 - 30psi for 5 days... if I want a glass, I take a growler... The taste is much better, but there is something there I don't think belongs - I'll bring some tomorrow - hope to gain some insight...
NBCBA Treasurer