• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Belgian Porter

Started by feldmann, March 11, 2015, 09:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feldmann

The robust porter I have on tap right now is about to kick and so I was looking for something a little different. I was inspired by Grimross' Pugnacious Porter and I found a recipe on brewtoad that involved grains I already have. I know a lot of people have a lot more experience with Belgians, Porters and brewing in general so I was looking for any advice. I was also thinking of subbing the Belgian Saison yeast with Belgian Ardenne or YB Wallonian because they're what I have on hand.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.5
Estimated OG: 1.063
Anticipated SRM: 32.65
Anticipated IBU:
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain
------
80% (10 lbs) - Pilsner
4% (0.5 lbs) - Biscuit
4% (0.5 lbs) - Special B
4% (0.5 lbs) - Aromatic
4% (0.5 lbs) - Chocolate Malt
4% (0.5 lbs) - Carafa II

Hops
------
0.50 oz Nugget @ 60 min
0.50 oz Nugget @ 45 min
0.50 oz Saaz @ 5 min
0.50 oz Saaz @ 1 min

Yeast
------
Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

Mash Schedule
--------------
60 min @ 63C

EDIT: Changed recipe based on suggestions.

jamie_savoie

I think Ardenne would be my yeast of choice for this style, 3724 my second.  I would cut the Biscuit in half , up the chocolate a couple % and add some type of roast like Carafa.  7% Special B is a bit on the high side, I would do 4-5%.  Rest looks good!  :drink:

robcoombs

I agree with @jamie_savoie that Ardenne yeast is awesome, but it is very aggressive. I had a beercano from it that hit my ceiling while it was at 68F.  :facepalm:

jamie_savoie

I would also mash lower

feldmann

Ardenne is my go to belgian yeast and I asked Steve from Grimross if thats what he used for his because thats what it tasted like to me but he said no. Which Carafa should I use? I, II or III? I've never used it before and I notice noble grape doesn't stock it so I'm going to have to find a way to source some.

So with corrections, I think it would look something like this:

76% - Pilsner
4% - Biscuit
4% - Special B
3% - Aromatic
6% - Chocolate Malt
7% - Carafa

robcoombs

I have some carafa II if you need some.

jamie_savoie

I think WY3726 would be the closest to match Steve's yeast stain.  But I still think Adrenne would be the better choice for this beer.  Carafa II or III would be my choice and I'd keep both chocolate and carafa in the 4-5% range for each

feldmann

Perfect, I think I'll just make it easy and bring the pilsner to 80% and keep everything else at 4%

@robcoombs If you could spare half a pound on Saturday, that would be awesome!

Thanks a lot for the help! Hopefully I'll be able to brew it in a week or two.

feldmann

I'm thinking of trying this again with a few changes. I'm thinking of upping some of the darker malts to maybe 5-6% and subbing in Belgian Abbey. The first batch wasn't awful but it just didn't really come together well enough to be considered a success.

I want the roastiness to be upfront and the character from the Belgian yeast to be in the background.

Any suggestions to more experienced porter brewers?

Roger

I've hade good success with cold steeping the dark malt to achieve roastiness without any tannin extraction. But I've not tried it in a Belgian style yet. Might be worth a try...

robcoombs

You could always try using some midnight wheat as well. As much as I love and talk about hops, I do love that grain. I use it in all my dark styles now.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Roger

I wonder how close midnight wheat is compared to chocolate wheat...

robcoombs

The last time I purchased midnight wheat was 550L

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Roger

So it's darker 550 compared to around 400 but as far as flavor goes I wonder how close they are.