• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

smack pack

Started by paulmaybee, January 12, 2015, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulmaybee

So, I got my stir plate and am giving it a go today.  With the Wyeast smack packs, I know it's not really necessary to do a starter, but should I add just the yeast, or should I smack the pack, so to speak, first?
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

jamie_savoie

always smack.  it's yeast nutriment in the pack
if the yeast is fresh and it's a regular gravity brew, no need to do a starter

paulmaybee

Quote from: jamie_savoie on January 12, 2015, 01:27:18 PM
always smack.  it's yeast nutriment in the pack
if the yeast is fresh and it's a regular gravity brew, no need to do a starter

It's fresh yeast and it's a regular gravity brew.  But I just got a new toy, so yes I do NEED to do a starter! :banana:
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

robcoombs

I do a starter with wyeast every time. I know it's not always necessary but I like the process. It can't hurt.

paulmaybee

Quote from: robcoombs on January 12, 2015, 07:06:23 PM
I do a starter with wyeast every time. I know it's not always necessary but I like the process. It can't hurt.

Yeah, this is proving to be way more fun than it should be.  I'm like those kids on the rising crust pizza commercials.

robcoombs

Quote from: paulmaybee on January 12, 2015, 07:54:19 PM
Quote from: robcoombs on January 12, 2015, 07:06:23 PM

Yeah, this is proving to be way more fun than it should be.  I'm like those kids on the rising crust pizza commercials.

Ha! I've done that.  :lol:

Roger

I think it's always a safe bet to do a starter. The only time I don't is when I use dry yeast. But I do sometimes rehydrate it first.

robcoombs

Quote from: Roger on January 12, 2015, 08:59:01 PM
I think it's always a safe bet to do a starter. The only time I don't is when I use dry yeast. But I do sometimes rehydrate it first.

I generally always rehydrate the dry packs, unless it's for a session beer around 4%. Though I don't make much of those.

robcoombs

Good read there @jamie_savoie

Two Wheeler

There's a ton of good info on that website, thanks for sharing.

I always rehydrate because it's not hard to do, and it's a lot easier to get the yeast into a carboy when it's in liquid form.

Jordan Harris
BIAB'er