• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Natural carb in keg

Started by Jake, August 26, 2014, 09:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Does anyone in club ever naturally carb in a keg by adding some priming sugar? I had tried it once a couple years back with about 1/3 of a cup of priming sugar with good results. I have a saison that I'm about to keg in coming days and thought it would be cool to go this route ... I know many belgians are often carbonated in the bottle, so why not keg.

Any reason why not?
President of the NBCBA

Two Wheeler

I bet it would be tasty, it just may be yeasty for the first few pours. I was moving a few weeks ago and put a beer in the keg to make it easier to move than the carboy, but it wasn't finished. I essentially used the keg as a secondary and serving vessle. The first few pints brought up some yeast, but it seems to have settled. The beer pours slowly too, so I think the diptube is a bit clogged, so that's something to consider.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

jamie_savoie

Funny, I'm about to try the same thing with a hoppy saison but with the addition of Brett Brux in the keg.  I was inspired to try this after reading this post.
QuoteI find that Brett produces an assertive character much more rapidly under pressure
He used 3oz of sugar for a keg

paulmaybee

I'm trying the same thing too, but with unfermented wort...  ambitious, I think.  But hey, it's beer!
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Roger

I've been planning to do this as well.

fakr

Hey Jake!  Long time!  Here's a tip that JohnQ will likely agree to with his spunding experience.  Next time keg your beer a few points before its finished, adding dry hops or whatever you want.  I'f you're expecting a FG of 1.012 keg it at 1.015-6.  It will build up natural carb pressure finishing up and will carb your beer.  I've done it in the past so i know it works.  It will take a week or so to settle out. 
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Jake

Fakr!?! You're alive!

thanks for the tip. We miss drinking your beer. You should make the trip from Moncton some week soon.
President of the NBCBA

brew

Good to hear from you fakr! Hope things are well...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

fakr

I definitely do have to make it to Fredericton soon.  Had some health issues since spring but got myself a clean bill of health recently.  Gettin the brewery going again!  See you guys soon!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."