• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Final volume calculations

Started by Evil Jalapeno, May 09, 2014, 10:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Jalapeno

Noob question (I've only done one all-grain batch so far), but how many liters are you supposed to finish with after the 60 min boil? 20L?

Chris Craig

I'd shoot for about 21 l.  That's how much your keg will hold.  It's a function of your boil off rate.  That's going to take some time to figure out.  If you're using propane, then I'd start with a 4-litre boil off rate in your calculation.  So, if you want 20 l of wort:

Start with a pre-boil volume of 27 l
Boil for 60 minutes.  You'll lose 4 l if your boil off rate is 4 l/hr.
Chill -- you'll lose 4% to shrinkage as the wort cools.  23 l left.
Siphon to the fermenter.  You'll likely lose another 2 l between what's left in your kettle, and what you can't get out of your fermenter after the beer is finished.

That leaves you with 21 l to drink :)

You should check out BeerSmith.  It's great for doing all these calculations for you.

Evil Jalapeno

I'm not sure if I posted the question in the wrong section or if it was moved, but I originally wanted to know the final volume of the Black Like Your Heart IPA v2 recipe posted in the Tried and True section.

That being said, thanks a lot for the info. I do have BeerSmith, but still have longs ways to go to understand it perfectly!

When I did my first all-grain, which was the Belgian Dubbel kit from OBK, I followed BeerSmith calculations, but ended up with about 3-4 litres less than what I had originally expected. I simply topped it off to 20L. Is that a no-no? My OG was pretty much bang on after adding water, but I was pretty confused (still am!) as to what happened.

I'm at work right now, but I can copy/paste my brew steps later. Perhaps someone can find what I did wrong from these steps?

Chris Craig

Your question isn't really specific to a certain recipe.  It's the same for any recipe, so I moved this part of the thread because I thought it would be more useful to everyone here. 

If you were low on your post-boil volume, but hit your gravity after topping up with water, then you either hit your estimated pre-boil gravity, but boiled off too much, or you overshot your pre-boil gravity AND undershot your pre-boil volume.  There's nothing wrong with adding water at the end of the boil though. 

Evil Jalapeno

Quote from: Chris Craig on May 09, 2014, 02:03:40 PM
Your question isn't really specific to a certain recipe.  It's the same for any recipe, so I moved this part of the thread because I thought it would be more useful to everyone here.
*thumbs up*

Quote from: Chris Craig on May 09, 2014, 02:03:40 PMIf you were low on your post-boil volume, but hit your gravity after topping up with water, then you either hit your estimated pre-boil gravity, but boiled off too much, or you overshot your pre-boil gravity AND undershot your pre-boil volume.  There's nothing wrong with adding water at the end of the boil though.
Now that you mention that, I remember that my pre-boil gravity was ok, and so was my pre-boil volume. I must have simply boiled it too much. I guess I'll try turning the propane down a bit next time.

Thanks again!