• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Barley Crusher roller spacing

Started by Chris Craig, June 19, 2013, 08:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

I've had my Barley Crusher for about a year now.  I've put at least 300 lbs of grain through it now.  I've calibrated the roller spacing with some feeler gauges so that the gap is 39/1000ths of an inch.  I have a hell of a time sparging.  So much so that I started using rice hulls in every batch about 6 months ago.  I still have some problems. 

For those of you who have barley crushers, what do you set your gap at?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to bump mine to 41/1000ths for my next batch.

chrismccull

brew

Mine's still at factory default  :-\ never any sparge issues though...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Waterlogged

Used mine for the first time tonight (OBK Grain Mill).  Set gap as width of credit card (wife's Amex) and all went well well for a 47 liter abtch.
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

pliny

Chris Craig

JohnQ

Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Kyle

I use the factory setting and I've put many hundreds of pounds through it. The only time I have sparging issues is if there is more than 50% wheat.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Roger