• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Yeast Harvesting from Starters

Started by Chris Craig, May 09, 2013, 08:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Craig

fakr

yeah, that's a good technique.  best chance of having a good clean yeast cake.  
I'm not a big fan of washing yeast...it's a pain.
See how many washes it takes to get irish yeast from a stout nice and white and clean....too many!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

brew

I like this idea - looks easier than washing. Think I'll give this a try...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

JohnQ

Excellent Idea,
I'm working out how to step up the yeasts for 20 gallon batches, looks like I might need a larger flask (or smaller carboy).  If I can grab off some of the product each time and start the step up again, it could be very useful.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Chris Craig

You need something like this: http://www.stir-plate.com/BlackMAXX.htm with a plastic carboy and a racking port to pull off fresh yeast for each batch!  You'd just have to keep adding fresh 1.030 wort every time.  It may work...

DandyMason

JohnQ

Quote from: "Chris Craig"You need something like this: http://www.stir-plate.com/BlackMAXX.htm with a plastic carboy and a racking port to pull off fresh yeast for each batch!  You'd just have to keep adding fresh 1.030 wort every time.  It may work...

Thanks Chris, bought one today, will be waiting for me to pick up in Maine in a couple of weeks.
Now to figure out a dip tube for a bottle....
Lots of stainless sitting around here!
JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Chris Craig

JohnQ

Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

fakr

ok, we gotta stop giving John really super awesome ideas...cause the money's gotta run out sometime!!!   :lol:
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."