• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Brettanomyces Bruxellensis

Started by sdixon, September 22, 2012, 07:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdixon

Does anyone have a brett they have washed?

Thomas - Is there any reason we couldn't have brett in our yeast library?
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

sdixon

My Brett. B. arrived today :rock:  Planning to do a 100% brett beer with it. I will wash and contribute to yeast library when done.
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

fakr

I have a wyeast 3278 lambic blend that i could also donate to the library.  I'll put a small amount aside when i make my starter in a few weeks.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Kyle

keep it up guys!!

I'm glad the library is growing.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Thomas

Richard

The only point I'd make is that a mixed culture will be difficult to put in the library... since so far as I understand, the process Thomas uses is meant for pure cultures. Not to mention that the relative concentrations of the different strains will be real difficult to maintain on that medium.

I think we'd be better off sticking with pure cultures - passing around liters of sour innoculant is one thing, but scaling down to slants just doesn't sit right with me.

Thomas: thoughts?

Regardless guys, thanks a lot for contributing :)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Thomas

True dat, its no problem to make a pure culture of Brett (I think thats what steve implied?), however a mixed culture slant is not impossible, just an extra step. But I'd rather not bother with mixing cultures.

Richard

Right on - sdixon was talking about a pure strain, but if someone fancies a sour (specifically lambic styled) starter - lemme know; between myself and the leprechaun we got you covered ;)
Charter Member

Richard

Will be bottling the "silence of the lambics" soon - seen mixed results (from slow w/pellicle to no action at all) with natural carbing, so leaning towards forcing w/bottling atm.
Charter Member

sdixon

Yup, mine is a pure Brett. B. (Wyeast 5112). I also want to get my hands on as many Brett stains as I can as I understand that is what makes for some of the best tastes in a 100% brett beer. East Coast Yeast have some interesting blends and will do club orders on 20 or more bottles. I would like to get pure bret strains though:
Brett B. (have it)
Brett C.
Brett L.
Brett A.
Brett N.

http://www.solarhomebrew.com/East_Coast_Yeast.html

PS - Yes I would like a sour starter whenever you have one available Richard.
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]