• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

18 year Whiskey cask IPA - Toe Jom

Started by fakr, July 31, 2012, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakr

Acquired a beautiful, fresh 180L, 18 year old whiskey barrel and filled it with 3 separate batches of IPA, all brewed and fermented 2 weeks apart, then added to the barrel.  This created a blend of 3 IPAs, oldest being 6 weeks, youngest being 2 weeks.

Batch 1 - 17GAL
Batch 2 - 17 GAL
Batch 3 - 10 GAL

Total: 44GAL

Recipe:

17GAL

Grain:

25lbs Maris Otter
1lb 6oz CaraMunich 1
3lbs CaraMunich 2
1lb 6oz CaraBelge
4lbs 5oz Crystal 110
1lb 6oz Smoked Malt

Hops:

5oz Nugget @ 60
6oz Willamette @ 60
1.5oz Nugget @ 30
4.5oz Cascade @ 30
4.5oz Cascade @ 10
6oz Saaz @ flameout

Mash 60min @ 157, sparge @ 170.
Boil 60 mins.

Pitched washed Scottish Yeast # 1728 I believe, Tom can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I'll also let Tom reply with a tasting description.  I would have just written "Bloody Excellent!".
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Jake

President of the NBCBA

pliny

Very cool. Nice touch on the scottish yeast.
Many different types of grain.
Hehe does the smoked malt provide alot of taste?

fakr

This ale is quite complex.  It starts with an aged whiskey taste, progresses quickly to a deep rich raison, maybe some strawberry, a tad cherry (from what other's have said), and finishes up with a surprising hop bitterness...

I've pulled 1 keg out of the barrel every week, and am letting them age further in the kegs.  Each keg should have a noticeably different flavor, aroma, mouthfeel as they have sat in the barrel for different periods.

I don't taste the smoked malt in the beer, though I'm sure it adds a small hint of something...my pallate isn't sensitive enough though.

pliny

Quote from: "fakr"...my pallate isn't sensitive enough though.

Too many years of partying will to that.

fakr

lol! Probably!

I think the small % of smoked malt in the total grain bill wouldn't give a noticeable smoke flavoraroma anyway, but some out there might taste it.

TomFogarty

Only just found this thread now... I'll have to get back to you on tasting notes, I'll need another bottle to sample ;)
I didn't even know we used smoked malt in this, which is sad because it's my recipe   :roll: