• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Call for yeast strains

Started by Thomas, April 19, 2012, 12:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

With the club purchase of new screw cap tubes, and an unexpected acquisition of a full box of screw cap tube from an old laboratory, we now have room for many more new strains of yeast. If anyone has a jar of washed yeast they would like to contribute to the library please let me know. You can either bring the yeast to the next club meeting, or I can pick it up/ you drop it off at your convenience.
And, as always, if any paid club members request a yeast slant please feel free to send me a PM. Otherwise, I will bring slants of all available strains to each meeting to be made available to all members.

jamie_savoie

I have these washed yeasts in my fridge at the moment:
1762 - Belgian Abbey II
3463 - Forbidden Fruit
3522 - Ardennes
2206 - Bavarian lager
3068 - Weihenstephan

I'm passing buy fredericton in 2 weeks so I could make a stop

brew

Awesome collection!

I also have:
1728 Scottish
1099 Whitebread

I'll bring them to the meeting on Saturday...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Thomas

wow, that is an impressive collection Jamie! It would be greatly appreciated if you would like to donate any strains to the library.

jamie_savoie

Thomas, I will contact you back in about 10 days to confirm if I'm going.  

Also, I have 4184 - Sweet Mead in hand.  Will give a brand new smack pack too.  I bought 3 smack pack last october and only used 1 so far....

edit: and also have 1056 but most likely it's something you already have

Kyle

thanks guys. We do already have the 1056
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Jake

I have washed California lager.

I also have smack packs of ringwood and ESB that I'll be using here shortly. So that'll be washed within next month
President of the NBCBA

Kyle

I'll bring our additional 125 Autoclavable test tubes   :rock:
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Chris Craig

That reminds me...I have 2 tubes to return...

Richard

Bring 'em today; if Thomas isn't there I'll make sure they get back to him.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Chris Craig

pliny

Hi
just curious does any one have a slant or mason jar of the 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast to share?

Thanks

Thomas

So after an hiatus from curating the yeast collection, I am now back in action and slanting away. Some strains I had trouble trying to purify (1099, 1084) have died off, so I am looking to try and obtain some new yeast to re-introduce these back into the collection. I will also take any new strains people have come across in the last while. I will update the culture collection by this weekend when I have slanted out my remaining stock.

I may also try a new form of yeast culturing. White labs provides vials with a concentrated yeast slurry, so I am going to experiment around and see if I can grow enough yeast to provide a similar yeast slurry in our screw cap tubes. This would have several benefits over the slanting method: higher concentration of yeast cells, healthier population of cells, more viable yeast and a rough estimate of total yeast abundance (ex: each vial could contain 75-150 billion cells). However I suspect the shelf life may be less then the traditional slanting method.

Chris Craig

This is interesting. How labour-intensive would this be?

jamie_savoie

I think I had given Thomas 3068 for the library but I'm not 100% sure