• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Ringwood

Started by Jake, March 25, 2012, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Did a starter of ringwood yesterday and I never and any krausen, although it did appear to be pretty milky/creamy which tells me there's decent activity. I'm about to pitch it here in 20 or so when my beer is done chilling, but when I took the tinfoil off the flask, dang that smells rank!

I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to smell, i've read butterscotch, buttered popcorn etc, which I can smell, but it's more like a butterscotch mixed with puke smell. Somewhat sour smell but doesnt taste sour. I decanted some off the top and noticeably could taste the butterscotch, but by no means did it taste good. Not sure if I should pitch or not, but I've read that it's a weird one with a strange smell in a starter.

Anyone have any experience with this smell that I'm having a hard time describing?
President of the NBCBA

Ian Grant

I use ringwood and the smell i get is sweet and floral.  I'd say your starter is fucked..

Jake

Hah well that sucks. Pitched last night and hoped for the best. Time will tell
President of the NBCBA

Jake

Well I sampled it tonight and was pleasantly surprised. I used in a bitter and the first thing that came to mind when I sampled was pic's best bitter ... it had the exact same aftertaste

I primed this keg with corn sugar as an experiment and plan to be drinking in a couple weeks. Will have at one of the upcoming meetings.
President of the NBCBA

Richard

Glad to hear it was alright, guess it can't have smelled that bad ;)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.