• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

crushing grain day before

Started by DandyMason, December 13, 2011, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyMason

Is it okay to crush your grains the day before brewing?

I read that you shouldnt let it sit too long after milling them since they can oxidize and become stale... Any truth to this?

JohnQ

Day before is just fine, many places sell pre-crushed as an option, and then ship across the country.
A day in your house will be fine.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

DandyMason

k good because I just did it, haha

Needed to save some time for brew day tomorrow... Yeah I started thinking about pre crushed grain you can buy, and figure they sit around for a while.

I know theres probably not a concrete answer to this... but any idea how long grain could sit around pre crushed?

Richard

Stale (slack) malt has some qualities you don't really want (diminished diastatic power, oxidation, etc), but one day shouldn't hurt.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Hawoh

Go for it...

I always crush my grains the night before a brew day. Any chance I can get to cut down the time and work need on actual brew day, I take it.

DandyMason

Sounds good, I figure its a good idea if it doesnt hurt the quality of the grain. Brew day is long enough