• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.
Main Menu

Hops Bags

Started by DandyMason, November 13, 2011, 08:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyMason

For those who use them, How do you clean your hop bags?

Can I just toss them in the washer?

Jake

I'm yet to wash them in the washer. I usually just rinse them by hand without soap, and just make sure there are no particles in there. Then just lay them out on the rack to dry. I figure they're going to be boiled for an extended period of time, so that'll kill just about anything on there that I can't rinse off.

They seem pretty delicate, so I don't bother adding them to the wash ... but I'm sure yuou probably could and it wouldn't hurt anything.
President of the NBCBA

DandyMason

Yeah true good points... Probably not needed

Kyle

Yeah, I use the same method as Jake.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

brew

Quote from: "Kyle"Yeah, I use the same method as Jake.
+1
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

fakr

To add a spin to this...I'm going to be using a hop bag with whole leaf hops in my secondary keg when pressure fermenting...this is to avoid issues like Jake faced with a stuck pressure transfer becasue of hop pellet particles.  Throw the hops in a bag and throw it in the secondary keg before pressure transferring.

I had the ideal of hand washing the bag, rinsing, then soaking in starsan.  After that fill the wet bag with hops and throw it in the secondary....anyone see a problem with that method?
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Richard

Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

sdixon

"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

fakr

geez, I had to read my post again to see how I worded my question...thought you guys were just saying no with no explanation!
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."