• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Force carbing technique not to use!

Started by fakr, October 05, 2011, 08:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakr

Do not try force carbing a full keg with the gas in on the out valve and a an unset spunding valve and gauge on the gas in valve when you already have 5-10 psi hitting the keg.  Bad idea.  if you don't wear glasses (luckily I do) you will most likely temporarily blind yourself with beer and have a major cleanup to do.  Beer hit my couch and center bar set over 15 feet away.  Beer tasted good though.

Tried leaking off just 1 psi through the spunding valve after making the mess and the keg is just too full.  I'd like to try it with less beer in the keg sometime though.

I was trying to avoid trickling 3-4 psi through the dip tube up through the beer and having to gently release pressure through the pressure release valve every 10 minute to carb it up in 3-4 hours.

lessons learned.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

JohnQ

Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Richard

lol; fail.

I've made a fair few messes on my way... probably will do again; shit happens.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

fakr

"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

JohnQ

OK Jr.
I've got the reg hooked up to the in, the spunding valve is whistling away with about 5 psi on the head.
I'll leave if for a few hours and let you know.
JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Kyle

Yeah, it happens. I had a poppet valve fail when swapping kegs, and it sent a geyser right into the chandelier... 4 hours later the cleaning was done.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --