• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

Rare earth magnets

Started by robcoombs, November 05, 2014, 01:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robcoombs

Just wondering if anyone has a couple of spare rare earth magnets from building a stir plate that I could buy? I ordered some from eBay a month ago and it's still saying it's going to be another month before they get here.  :frazzled: I already have everything else I need.

jamie_savoie

I think I bought mine at home hardeware.  it was like 5$ if I remember right

Roger

If you can get your hands on an old hard drive you can harvest a couple magnets from it. That's what I did. I got 2 one for each stir plate.  :cheers:

brew

I have an extra magnet or 2 you can use. I use hard drive magnets also...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

jeffsmith

Lee Valley also sells them in large lots for a pretty reasonable price.

Roger

You can get them on eBay as well. Cheep and free shipping you just need to wait a couple weeks.

robcoombs

Thanks @brew I took @roger advice and harvested some from an old hard drive. The magnets from ebay did finally arrive after 6 weeks, though they are too small. I will probably build one more stire plate, the fan speed controller I bought on ebay was a dud so I just have the fan direct wired to a 5W power source. It works, but its a bit of a PITA to get the stir bar spinning.

robcoombs

Thanks @jeffsmith that site is a good resource to order more when I need them.