• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

220v Thyristor for kettle input power control

Started by brew, January 30, 2014, 10:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brew

So this is my thyristor component. I use dryer plugs for my 220 as they are cheap. This one was 4.99 and the thyristor was 17 including shipping from ebay. The plug I picked up for free and the enclosure is a Gerrold channel changer, gutted and dremelled. Not a PID but working...

NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

pliny

brew

No numbers - and it does slip a bit, I'll have to put some epoxy on that I think...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

DandyMason

Very nice Brew, is this basically what Im abouot to spend $250 on? If so, I may need to rethink this purchase

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3084#.UuvLKvldVu0

brew

Very cool yes that is pretty much exactly the same thing. Infinite control translates to phase cutting device of some kind (thyristor, triac or some such). That one has a switch though (I dont have a 220 switch to put in mine so I just use the unplug method). Nicer heat sync as well on that one. I saw those project boxes at home depot, dont remember how much they were. Fhilo might be able to get a good deal on them... I see the one in your link also has the dryer plug option. Nice! Easy to come by cords at the scrap yard...
NBCBA Treasurer

brew

NBCBA Treasurer