• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

WTF is with my mash eff

Started by Chris Craig, March 10, 2012, 12:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fakr

I definitely want to see your mash tun and how you mash out to get those numbers.  That's amazing.

What are you using for a mash tun?  And I noticed you put a 5.2 ph for your mash...you using 5.2ph stabilizer?
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Chris Craig

I have a wooden dowel that I marked in 1 gallon increments for my keggle.  I measured out the water using a 2qt jug.  I measured the jug with a measuring cup and marked the side. For sparge water, I just measure using the 2 qt jug. No dowel.

Today, I verified the markings on the jug and the dowel.  They're accurate enough.  

I eyeball the fractions.  It was a mistake to write 7.7 gallons.  I meant 7.75.  It's pretty hard to eyeball 5/100ths :)  It looked like 3/4 of a measure. I didn't measure 5.95 after shrinkage.  I just did the math.

Chris Craig

If my measuring stick was off by an entire gallon, and I actually only had 6.7 gallons in the kettle, then I'd have 83% efficiency.  But, I know I have really close to gallons in my carboy.  And I measured what was left in the kettle by pouring it out into a smaller pot, and then into the measuring jug.  There was 1 gallon left.  That's consistent with what I measured.

Chris Craig

I'm sure I did something wrong, and it's driving me crazy.  I've spent hours thinking through it.

Richard

I'd have to watch you brew to figure it out, I don't think you should be able to reach those numbers with a single batch-sparge.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Chris Craig