• Welcome to New Brunswick Craft Brewers Association.

How much oxy-clean to use?

Started by Kyle, September 25, 2011, 11:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Dan, get yourself a bottle of starsan that we got in. 32oz. You won't regret it.
President of the NBCBA

DandyMason

Oh okay, good to know..

I have the 32 oz starsan ordered... and I do have the pink chlorine stuff also.

I will borrow some of my dads starsan until mine arrives.

Jake

I just got a box of the oxyclean yesterday at costco for around 15 bucks ... should last a while. So I use about a scoop in a keg and in carboy?

Dan, where'd you get the no-name stuff? Great value, is that wal-mart? What'd you pay and how much bigger, approx? I try to avoid wal-mart whenever i can for multiple reasons:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos
President of the NBCBA

DandyMason

hahaha yeah dont blame on avoiding wal mart for that reason...

I got the great value stuff from wal mart... From what I saw, wal mart only had the actual Oxi Clean in a pretty small size, maybe 24 oz? It was like 5 or 6 bucks... They also had the Great value stuff for like 7 bucks... I will check on sizes tongiht but it was at least twice as big... So probably around 50 oz.

I should have checked costco... I imagine they would have the best deal.

Jmac00

yeah, costco is the best deal....even better when it goes on sale for ~$9

Jake

Oh snap. I'm there just about every week, so I'll be sure to keep my eye on it (and let you all know, of course)
President of the NBCBA

Jmac00

yeah, i haven't seen it on sale here yet, but i've bought it on sale at the other locations before....so its just a matter of time...great time to stock up when it does go on sale.

brew

I got my 12 lbs box of oxy-clean at costco a few weeks ago for 12.99... (Fredericton)
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Jake

On box: "metals must not be soaked and must be rinsed immediately and thoroughly"

... Ahhhhh, what?

So it's safe to use on metals (assuming not soaked) if rinsed immediately and thoroughly?
I filled 2 kegs with it yesterday and let it sit for upwards of an hour ... Is SS ok to use it on? Anyone else use on kegs?
President of the NBCBA

Dave Savoie

It should be fine dont stress yourself
Charter Member

Jmac00

yes, i use it on kegs and its fine.

Richard

I've used it on all kinds of things and it works fine... my hunch would be that since it's OXY clean, the metric shitload of oxygen would oxidise some metals (i.e. not stainless).
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Kyle

I've had it sitting in a really dirty keg for a week... seems fine.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --