Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rhizomes  (Read 35033 times)

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Rhizomes
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »
Thanks guys! I have watered the hops about twice per week. It's not dyed mulch either. Guess I'll just wait and see. And Al- I planted cascade, Chinook and centennial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 12:31:47 AM »
Got mine out from their winter storage (they have been in 5gal buckets the last 2yrs, but going in the ground this year), and none have any growth that I can see on them yet.

2 Chinook, 1 Golding, 1 Fuggles.

The new ones I got this year, 2 Centennial and 2 Cascade. Both Centennial have come up, one is growing like a bad week, the other popped up about 2" and then seemed to have stopped growing. Not sure what is up with that.

The 2 cascade haven't shown any sign of life at all. Tempted to gently pull back the soil to see if there is any growth at all, if not...likely toast.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »
They should start any day now my cascade are about 16" tall and my Hersbrucker are about 2 feet tall right now. But I'm gonna cut them all down and start from new to get some strong new growth. They say the first shoots are weaker than the second wave. So I think I'll give that a try this year it makes sense to me because the first shoots get a little damage from frost. So we'll see I guess...

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2016, 05:09:14 PM »
Got my lines up today. It was a bit sketchy setting a 20ft ladder up against the post but I survived. Some lines are two strands of bailer twine and some are single strand, so we will see how they stand up to weight and sun. They tie at the top onto some old electric fence wire... I may switch that out later. It ties at the bottom like to flagpole so it will be easier to switch.

My hop are only 4 or 5" tall at the moment. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:35:29 AM by shazapple »
Lee

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 12:34:31 PM »
I took this picture of my cascade on Sunday when they were all 3-4 feet, and now most of them are up to 6 feet tall. The centennial are still only just starting to climb. I'm going to have to rig up some sort of watering system as hauling 50L of water up to them every other day is getting old!
Lee

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 02:56:27 PM »
I also had a soil test done and was lucky enough to find some info on soil fertility for hops.
http://www.greatlakeshops.com/hops-blog/the-basics-of-understanding-soil-fertility-and-soil-testing

Overall my soil is low and too acidic. I've already applied lime which will take a couple years to bring up the pH. The other items I'll have to work at and monitor over the years. It almost reminds me of the whole process of figuring out the right salt additions for brewing.
Lee

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 11:22:51 AM »
Bines on the cascade are up to about 9-10 feet. Some centennial are 3-4 feet but others are more bushy and haven't grown upwards. Most of the cascade are growing laterals now (little bines that grow sideways) so I might see some flowering before the end of July.

I bought a soaker hose for irrigation which seems to work well, although it makes it difficult to know how much water I'm putting on. I need to spread some hay around the base of the plants for weed control and apply some micronutrients as well.
Lee

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
This was on June 27th, since then all but 1 are at top line.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 09:28:23 AM »
Man... mine are weak. My Chinook grew about 6 inches high, then died all of a sudden. My Centennial sprouted up quickly to about 5 feet but has slowed quite a bit. My Cascade grew to about 4 feet but seems to have stalled. I've added some compost hoping that gives them a boost.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »
My Hersbrucker have been to the roof and back down about half way now. My cascade are just about to the roof and catching up quickly.
I wouldn't worry about it Jordan. The first year you don't get much anyways. Just take care of them and the next year or two you'll notice a difference.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »
I lost 3 of the 4 I had last year. Nothing grew at all.

When I dug the roots out of the 5 gal bucket, they were huge (after only 2yrs, this would be their third), so took a chance, dug some holes, put in some cow manure and put the root balls in. Not likely to do anything this year, but will see in the spring. If still nothing, will just dig them up.

Was amazed at how big they grew compared to when I planted them 2yrs ago.

Ones I got this year, only the 2 centennial grew. Once I transplanted them out doors, they look like they are shriveling up, thinking maybe it was too much hot sun, too fast. Maybe the rain over this week will revive them.

So out of 2 Chinook, Fuggles, Golding, that I had over the last 2 yrs, and the 2 Centennial and 2 Cascade I got this year, I am left with 1 Golding, and 2 Centennial that actually grew. Not looking good!

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »
Most of my cascade are around 16ft after this weekend. Even some of the centennial have started taking off and are around 6 feet. Next year I'll try to find something other than bailer twine as sometimes the loose strands catch and break the bines. The laterals are starting to grow together, especially at the top, so I'll have to see how much pain that causes me at the end of the season. 
Lee

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 11:17:39 PM »
Nice I killed mine maybe better luck next year for me

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2016, 04:02:08 PM »
Man Lee you must have some good soil!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline nagirroc

• NBCBA
  • gregg corrigan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
And the winner is Centennial. Fifth to sprout and the first to the top, even if it is a little thin.