Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheat  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Wheat
« on: December 03, 2015, 04:15:16 PM »
What is the difference between the following wheat and do they have specific purpose?

Roasted
Toasted
Malted
Flaked

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: Wheat
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »
There's lots of differences between them in fact too many to list or maybe I'm just too lazy. But if you do a quick search on line I'm sure you'll find all kinds of stuff.  :cheers:

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »
There's lots of differences between them in fact too many to list or maybe I'm just too lazy. But if you do a quick search on line I'm sure you'll find all kinds of stuff.  :cheers:

Roger is right, there is so much info out there on each specific malt. I generally always have flaked and malted wheat on hand. I use it quite often. Recently I got some midnight wheat which is a roasted wheat for some darker styles. Ordering your first batch of splits can be overwhelming, not knowing exactly what you need. Best to put together a few recipes to see what your preferences are and what you'll need to brew each beer. If you have recipe questions or even what splits to get based on your style preferences don't hesitate to ask. Also, if you'd like some blogs to check out regarding recipes etc let us know.

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
I did a web search and got clear difference between flaked and malted, but did not find much on roasted and toasted.

Are  toasted and roasted wheat just a variation of malted wheat or it is not raw?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »
It's not generally raw. Think of it as malted wheat that's been dark roasted. Similar to how barley is roasted to the level of chocolate or roasted barley.

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:11 AM »
Malted wheat is the stuff you will use most. Flaked and toasted wheat flakes are unmalted so you can only use in smaller amounts. Pretty sure you could use flaked and toasted wheat flakes interchangeably, just for some increased head retention.

If you're putting together one of your first grain orders, just getting malted wheat is good enough I would say.

I havent heard of roasted wheat, but likely something like Rob described, Midnight wheat or chocolate wheat type thing ... Just did a search and sounds like these are basically malted wheat that has been roasted to a degree

« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:41:17 AM by DandyMason »