Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's Brewing?  (Read 143793 times)

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
Re: What's Brewing?
« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »
I had to make a trip out to saint john for some baby clothes consignment store (don't ask) a few weeks ago so I could finally justify making an order from the NB Craft Brewers Market and get my hands on Omega's Hot Head IPA. I'm juggling with repeating the same recipe I used Sigmund's Voss Kveik to be able to definitely see the difference or immediately go wild and have fun with it.

I also grabbed one of Omega's lacto strains. I was excited to try it out but now I'm at a loss at how to use it. I think I bought at least 10 packages of different yeasts between everwood and NBCBM's "near" expired sales with no plans on how to use them. I really need to stop impulse buying...

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26:04 PM »
I had to make a trip out to saint john for some baby clothes consignment store (don't ask) a few weeks ago so I could finally justify making an order from the NB Craft Brewers Market and get my hands on Omega's Hot Head IPA. I'm juggling with repeating the same recipe I used Sigmund's Voss Kveik to be able to definitely see the difference or immediately go wild and have fun with it.

I also grabbed one of Omega's lacto strains. I was excited to try it out but now I'm at a loss at how to use it. I think I bought at least 10 packages of different yeasts between everwood and NBCBM's "near" expired sales with no plans on how to use them. I really need to stop impulse buying...

I've been excited to try that Lacto strain from Omega, just haven't been able to come across it yet. Let me know how it works out for you.

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #332 on: February 07, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
I've been excited to try that Lacto strain from Omega, just haven't been able to come across it yet. Let me know how it works out for you.

I'm torn between doing a sour farmhouse ale or a kettle soured flanders red.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »

I'm torn between doing a sour farmhouse ale or a kettle soured flanders red.

Hmm that's tough, I tend to go traditional for Flanders styles and a sour Farmhouse sounds really good too. But the great thing about sour styles especially is experimenting with something new. I'm sure either would be really tasty.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #334 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
Over the weekend I bottled 2.5G of my Dark Funky Rye Session ale that had aged on dark cherries and raspberries for three months.

I also split a Brett Grisette I brewed 8 months ago. Half was bottled as is, the other half was transferred onto 2lbs/G of mangoes which will also get a hefty Nelson dry hop prior to packaging.

Finished up writing a recipe for my first Milkshake IPA as well  :cheers:

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #335 on: February 13, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
You're a busy guy! And quite creative. Where do you draw all of the inspiration from? I find myself mostly sticking to IPA, PA, Stouts and wheats without much experimentation
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #336 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
You're a busy guy! And quite creative. Where do you draw all of the inspiration from? I find myself mostly sticking to IPA, PA, Stouts and wheats without much experimentation
From blogs, books and just think up what would go with Brett or sour etc. I like having a variety of those beer available since it's so hard to find around here. Plus they're a lot of fun to brew. Plus despite what it sounds like they are very easy. Just brew and forget about the carboy for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #337 on: February 13, 2017, 12:10:42 PM »
anyone brewing on this stormy day?

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #338 on: February 13, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
If I didn't have to work I would be.

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #339 on: February 13, 2017, 01:51:28 PM »

I was planning to, but it looks like a good day for the power to go out, already been down that road a couple of times, power out part way through a brew day....nope, just gonna stay in the house and maybe drink one... or two. :cheers:

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #340 on: February 20, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »
Tonight I am getting a wild Lactobacillus going with some wheat malt and see how it turns out. If it goes good a kettle sour will be on next

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #341 on: February 22, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
After 48 hours the lacto smells good and has a nice sour taste looks like a kettle sour this weekend any suggestions

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »
As your first one you can't beat a simple Beliner Weisse...

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #343 on: February 23, 2017, 06:12:36 AM »
I agree with @roger keep it simple the first time. If you bottle it consider doing a fruit addition to half. Make sure you pitch plenty of yeast as the low ph will challenge it's ability to ferment.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #344 on: February 26, 2017, 02:27:40 PM »
After 48 hours the lacto smells good and has a nice sour taste looks like a kettle sour this weekend any suggestions
brewed up a Beliner Weisse smells good and has a nice taste