Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: homebrew supplies in freddy  (Read 3511 times)

Offline britbrewer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
homebrew supplies in freddy
« on: January 16, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »
Hey Folks,

I made it to freddy and I am nearly unpacked, and starting to think about getting my first batch out here brewed. Lots of questions!

1. is there a local store for emergency dry yeast packets, airlocks etc? I see noble grape sells liquid yeasts on website, and kegging hardware- Can you get that stuff in their freddy store?

2. which is the best maritimes online homebrew store for speciality yeasts etc?

3. where's the best spot in town for cheap propane and co2 fills?

4. I couldn't fit my fermentation chamber and keg fridge in the move. Any good spot around for buying 2nd hand or cheap small fridges except kijjijj?

5. whats the best commercial brewery in town?

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
Re: homebrew supplies in freddy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 02:06:40 PM »
Glad you made it!

1. Noble grape is a good spot for local stuff with a decent selection in store they can also order most anything you need. There's also Scoop and Save, and Wine Kits both have an ok home brew selection.

2. Everwood brew shop is based outside of Halifax and have a great selection for on line orders. Sometimes if you post that you're gonna order something someone in the club will piggyback on the order that way you can save on shipping.

3. Cheapest propane by far is Costco. You can get co2 fills done at Atlantic Fire and Safety,  Glen Kennedy (506-458-9750) or if you prefer to swap your co2 canisters that can be done at Noble Grape.

4. Second hand fidges can be found on kijiji, Habitat For Humanity Restore there's another place I'm sure I just can't remember right now what it's called.

5. Best commercial brewery in town is kind of a loaded question. Almost all the local breweries were former club members so you can't really go wrong with any of them. But if you're looking for hoppy masterpieces I'd suggest Trailway, if you're into more Belgian styles I'd recommend Grimross, if you like both hoppy and wild offerings there's Niche but you can only get that at select bars in town. There's Maybee Brewing they have a bit of everything. Greystone is kinda hit and miss I've had really good ones there and sometimes it's just mediocre. Then you have our oldest craft brewery Picaroons they specialize in English style beers heavy on the Ringwood...

Offline britbrewer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:59:33 PM »
Nice good info cheers dude!

one more question- do noble grape stock liquid yeasts in store like wlp 002, or do I need to order online for liquid yeasts?

cheers

Phil

Offline redroast

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 06:31:05 PM »
Nice good info cheers dude!

one more question- do noble grape stock liquid yeasts in store like wlp 002, or do I need to order online for liquid yeasts?

cheers

Phil

Yes, but their stock can be a little bit of a crap shoot as it gets picked over. Also check the dates, they sometimes have expired yeast in their fridge.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »
Noble grape is having their no tax weekend sale. Starts today and runs until Saturday. Pretty much everything in the store is %15 off. So might be a good opportunity to pick up some goodies...