Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BrewPi Build  (Read 5719 times)

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
BrewPi Build
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »
I have been contemplating a BrewPi build for some time now and i'm thinking about taking apart some other projects and stripping them for parts to build one. I have a arduino and a raspberry pi that i used for other projects so that gets me 80% there.

I just ordered in some temperature sensors and the relay i would need to build one.

Has anyone tried to build one of these yet, if so any suggestions? I have a day of vacation tomorrow and i'm thinking i may use it for this.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: BrewPi Build
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 06:59:42 PM »
That's a project I've been eyeing up for some time, but I don't have any experience with arduino or raspberryPi. It looks neat though!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:20:24 PM »
My experience is pretty limited but i'm hoping to have gained alot by end of day tomorrow  :banana:

For the arduino i  ordered it last summer and built a little contraption that tracked motion using a sensor and turned a motor to make a haloween prop follow you as you walked down the hall. The raspberry pi i just loaded the OS on it and played around with it as a computer.

It seemed fairly straightfoward but we will see if i can make some progress tomorrow.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
I assume you've found this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466106

This project really appeals to me for the data logging and the PID like algorithm that minimizes temp swings. It would be nice to be re-brewing a beer and being able to see exactly what temp you used at each stage last time, and how you may want to change that. This would also make it easier to ramp up the temp gradually.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
Yup!

That thread kept popping up on HBT on the most active list and i was tempted over and over again to finally tackle this project.

Offline mcgster

• Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
I managed to scrounge up all the supplies for the build between amazon.com and .ca

I decided to use the individual pop in outlets instead of the duplex household receptacles i had used for my STC builds as they save a lot of space inside the box and look a lot cleaner, here is the layout for the front with the heat / cool outlets, power input, and display panel.

Here is what it looks like with everything snapped in place, this marks the end of the easy part time for a beer.

Offline dswan75

• NBCBA
    • Facebook Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
Digging this one up from the past, did a search of the forum.

How did you make out with your BrewPi? Is there anyone else using these?

I started to set this up in the spring but got busy camping. Now that brewing is back on my mind for the winter i'd like to try these again.

I've got all the hardware, 3 RPI's, Arduino Uno and several temp sensors.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:34 AM »
I haven't made any progress on this, but am interested to hear. Tagging @mcgster
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er