Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Germany  (Read 13953 times)

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
Germany
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:03:32 PM »
I couldn't wait to get home to start talking about Germany.  Thought you would all find parts of this interesting.  Yesterday was Frankfurt, and I found the Bier-Hannes pub and brewery from the European Beer Guide blog.  This place was well out of the city, but also well worth the effort to find.  A real authentic German schnitzel house with good Witbier on tap.  I had both the Helles and Dunkel versions and bought a few bottles of each on my way out the door.  We sat with a very nice couple who wanted to tell us all about the beer in Germany, and luckily had very navigable English.
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
Re: Germany
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »
Today is Cologne, and on our way to find the apartment, we stopped at a little shop for some Nuremburger sausages, sauerkraut and I had a Dom Kolsch.  It was very light, highly carbonated, and almost could detect a sourness to it. Very refreshing, though I could use a bigger glass.  Heading out for supper now, so maybe I'll have more to report on Cologne.
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:08 PM »
Enjoy! There's nothing like travelling and discovering new beer and food.

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Not jealous, not even after cleaning the driveway twice today during a blizzard. Nope.  :shakes:

Can't wait to hear all bout it!
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:38:20 PM »
For the record, I am collecting bottles at every stop.  and I will share!

Offline Fhilo

• Vice President
  • NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • BBQ, Beer, Biking and Home Theater...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 149
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:16:25 PM »
Nice.  Hope your trip continues to as awesome as it looks

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
I also detect slight tartness with kolsch yeast.  Look like a fun trip so far! Good food and good beer  :cheers:
ps: witbier are from Belgium ;)

Offline JamesC

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:37 AM »
Just saw a news bit on the weekend about Stone opening a brew pub in Germany... I don't know if it's open yet, but it looked pretty awesome

edit to add: Just looked into it, and it's not due to open until 2016, but still cool.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:14:09 AM by JamesC »

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:28 PM »
So Kölsch...  I'm so done with Kölsch.  This was probably the best one I had though.  Malzmuhler.  The Paffgen brewery was closed, and even the guy who served this beer to me said the best is Paffgen.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 05:48:17 PM »
Then a bit North to Recklingshausen, where I found some Altbier.  Much more refreshing, and a nice hop level.  It does what it sets out to do, but isn't anything to write home about.  Wait, I guess I just did.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
I spent the last few days in Amsterdam and it was amazing weather.  And yes, I went to a coffeeshop, and yes, it was all it's cracked up to be.  I was surprised though, to find some really impressive Dutch beers.  I had read that they weren't that impressive, most of the beers here are Belgian imports, but there are a few really good ones made in Holland.  Jopen was one that I really liked.  They have a lot of different kinds, but this was an "IPA" I think.  It was their seasonal, and I found some more at a shop by them and they were all really nice.

I also went to a beer store in Amsterdam, which had an amazing selection of Belgian, Dutch and German beers.  A few of these will make it home to my next meeting.

Tomorrow we go to Berlin for 2 days, then to Bamberg for 2 days.  Stay tuned for photos of the Weyermann tour!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »
That beer store is impressive!

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:27 PM »
That beer store is impressive!

It was on the http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/ website.  This was just the upstairs too!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
Wooooooooow

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »
@robcoombs my suitcase is not big enough!

Also, I forgot one beer I had.  It's called an IPA, but really is a hoppy Belgian blonde.  (It says on the label, "IPA, but not really from India, and not really a Pale Ale."  Thought I really liked it.  Anyone else have or see this before?  It's made by Duvel, actually.