Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: best beer store in Maine?  (Read 128600 times)

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
best beer store in Maine?
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »
What's the best place to buy bottles of beer en route to Freeport, via St. Stephen?  Looking especially for a good selection (and recommendations) of sours.
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: best beer store in Maine?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:12:36 PM »
Freeport has Maine Beer Company, but they don't brew sours. If you're going that far you owe it to yourself to go into Portland. Aside from all the great breweries Bier Cellar is there. Tons of selection. Check them out online.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:13:04 PM »
There's always Hogan road deli in Bangor, good but nothing close to Bier Cellar.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
It's my mother in law going.  If it were me, I'd definitely go to Portland.  I asked her to stop at Hogan Road for me, but haven't been there myself, so I didn't know if there was a better place.  I really have to get down there this summer.
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:28:11 PM »
Hmm that's tough. Are you sure she can't drive the extra 20 minutes into Portland? You can actually order and pay for an order online at Bier Cellar. She would just have to pick it up for you. No looking through bottles etc. I think that would be much more convenient than trying to get her to look for specific sours.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
After looking at their website, I will do my best to convince her to drive 20 minutes to save herself at least a helpless hour at hogan road by herself.  Thanks for the tip!  Great selection.  Now I really have to get down there.

Offline JamesC

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 07:31:03 AM »
Thirsty Dawg in Houlton is good as well (just have to watch for best before dates.) Bangor Wine and Cheese had a few impressive bottles when I went there last time, RSVP in Portland has a huge selection as well.

edit to add: In addition to the Bier Cellar, there is also the Craft Beer Cellar... I'm not sure what any of these places have for websites, but in person they're all definitely worth the trip.

Hanssens Artisinal is the most over the top sour I've experienced... Their Kriek was ridiculously sour. Eye squintingly, mouth puckeringly so.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 07:36:06 AM by JamesC »

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »
Okay, I'm heading down to Houlton this sunday for one day only. I know Thirsty dawg is usually closed on Sunday, although last time I went was also a sunday and he was there and let me buy... but is there any other options for a good beer shop in Houlton by any chance?

Offline JamesC

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
http://www.countygrocer.com/ says they have a "well stock beer cave." I've never been personally, but it might be worth checking.

http://www.hannaford.com/thumbnail/Beverages/Beer/Imported-Ales/pc/28045/c/46152/46155.uts Hannaford occasionally has stuff worth stopping in for when all else fails as well. I picked up a couple of the Sam Adams barrel room series from one in portland... They have the Sierra Nevada mixed sampler listed on the page there, as well as the usual suspects in Maine... You certainly wouldn't have to come back empty handed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:41:05 AM by JamesC »

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
http://www.countygrocer.com/ says they have a "well stock beer cave." I've never been personally, but it might be worth checking.

http://www.hannaford.com/thumbnail/Beverages/Beer/Imported-Ales/pc/28045/c/46152/46155.uts Hannaford occasionally has stuff worth stopping in for when all else fails as well. I picked up a couple of the Sam Adams barrel room series from one in portland... They have the Sierra Nevada mixed sampler listed on the page there, as well as the usual suspects in Maine... You certainly wouldn't have to come back empty handed.

Awesome, thanks!

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 01:23:52 PM »
I'm super jealous of Bier Cellar's beer of the month club: http://bier-cellar.myshopify.com/pages/bier-of-the-month-club
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Global Beverages in Ellsworth. Definitely one of the biggest selections in Maine.

The store is well laid out, clean and great service. They have all the beers sorted by country of manufacturing. The last time I went, they gave a discount for buying a full box of assorted bottles.

I don't go there often because if out of the way (from Woodstock) but if going to Freeport through St Stephen on route 1, it's def. the best place to go.

http://www.globalbeveragewarehouse.com/
3 Myrick Street Plaza in Ellsworth, Maine

Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 02:08:51 PM »
Didn't know that County Yankee Grocer had a beer selection will have to check them out next time I am over. Wife has said we should check them out instead of Hanifords.

Hanifords has an OK selection....but I have seen signs in alot of the places over there, no beer sales on Sunday, which may explain why Thirsty Dawg is closed Sundays. I have seen the sign plastered to the coolers at Hanifords, as well as the coolers at the Shell Station by Walmart. I don't know if this is a "Houlton" thing, as I am sure I have bought beer in Bangor/Portland on a Sunday.

Think it is just new as well, as I don't remember there being signs there before (new as in maybe came into effect Jan.1?)

Craft Beer Cellar in Portland is one store of a larger company, mostly in New England, but they are branching out. Been to one of their bigger stores around Boston, and it had a decent selection, and each store has their own website with their current inventory on hand, which seems to be updated on a pretty regular basis. Here is the one for Portland:

http://craftbeercellar.com/portland/beers.php?sort=b

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Didn't know that County Yankee Grocer had a beer selection will have to check them out next time I am over. Wife has said we should check them out instead of Hanifords.

Hanifords has an OK selection....but I have seen signs in alot of the places over there, no beer sales on Sunday, which may explain why Thirsty Dawg is closed Sundays. I have seen the sign plastered to the coolers at Hanifords, as well as the coolers at the Shell Station by Walmart. I don't know if this is a "Houlton" thing, as I am sure I have bought beer in Bangor/Portland on a Sunday.

Think it is just new as well, as I don't remember there being signs there before (new as in maybe came into effect Jan.1?)

Craft Beer Cellar in Portland is one store of a larger company, mostly in New England, but they are branching out. Been to one of their bigger stores around Boston, and it had a decent selection, and each store has their own website with their current inventory on hand, which seems to be updated on a pretty regular basis. Here is the one for Portland:

Weird, I just heard about this too, someone said no beer sales in houlton on sunday. Anyone have any more info on this?

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 08:11:54 AM »

Weird, I just heard about this too, someone said no beer sales in houlton on sunday. Anyone have any more info on this?

Well to answer my own question ... Just like ECH said, there are no beer sales in Houlton on sundays. That includes anywhere that sells beer. You can still go ahead and buy as much hard liquor as you want though...