Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Raw Wheat  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
Raw Wheat
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Does anyone have raw unmalted wheat I can buy/trade?
President of the NBCBA

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Raw Wheat
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »
I know it's not exactly what you're after, but the flour in my most recent two batches worked a treat - the mash nuked it - starch conversion was fine. No need to gelatinise first, however make sure you mix the flour into a paste with cold water or you'll have some serious dough-balls on your hands.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually drank the beer yet, but the wort had no off-flavours when I tasted it going into the fermenter.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
This will no doubt have some effect on the results: I used all-purpose as a middle ground kinda do everything flour. I've dicked around with bread flour and pastry flour when cooking, so I know they have varying protein content (bread more, pastry less). Figured a middle-ground would be appropriate to start with.

This obviously isn't the same as an idea someone else (jamie_savoie) brought up re: hazing a wit with a small amount of flour. I avoided that approach because the haze in a wit should be a protein haze, not a starch haze. My original recipe included a process I nicked from turbid mashing to maintain a level of unconverted starches, but I dropped that when I realised that would be out of character. That said; I do have to admit that his use of the stuff gave me the idea to use it myself in the mash :)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Just to clarify, I may have brought up the flour idea but I never actually tried it.
There actually a guy in grand-falls who grow wheat, barley, buckwheat, rye and other grains.  Sometime soon I will pay him a visit and see what he have