Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: willing assistant  (Read 19192 times)

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 299
willing assistant
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
Hey!

I am about to upgrade to all grain, but would like to do some hands on research first.  Is there anyone out there with an all grain setup that wouldn't mind a willing assistant on your next batch?  I want to see what works and how before throwing down the cash.

Other equipment recommendations are welcome too.  Not sure if this post should have gone under equipment...
on tap: IPA
fermenting: Roseway Red, Rye IPA, Tripel, Flanders Red, Sour #1
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
Re: willing assistant
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
I think this is a really smart idea. I should have brewed with someone before going to AG. Instead I've been muttering through the mash, tweaking each time I brew. I still don't have it down. I went with a cooler mash tun and 15gal brew kettle from OBK, I like what I have. It does the job, I'm still working to get my efficiancy up but that comes from my inexperiance not equipment.

Here is the kettle I have, I think its a good deal considering it comes with the ball valve and thermometer.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/15_Gallon_Brew_Kettle_OntarioBeerKegs_p/15-gallon-2weld.htm

Enjoy the swith to AG. I wish I would have switched sooner, you have so much more control and it's a lot more fun than extract kits IMO  :cheers:

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
The great thing about AG is its pretty hard to make bad beer I've found. Of course unless you are open fermenting in your bathroom, and you just happen to sit on the wrong pot in the morning after a rough night.

But you are welcome to come to Woody anytime ya want Paul and make beer with me! Every time I brew it seems it ends up a party, and have 3 assistants before the boil is over with. :D

Offline JamesC

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
I think a workshop learning brew session would be awesome. I'd definitely want to check it out too

Offline Draveur77

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »
Does that brew pot work with induction, should I order a longer probe thermometer.

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »
Does that brew pot work with induction, should I order a longer probe thermometer.

Those kettles arent induction compatible but there ones from OBK are...

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/10_Gallon_Heavy_Duty_Stainless_Steel_Tall_Kettle_p/10gal-tall-kettle.htm

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
I think an open brew session would be a cool idea. I would have no problem hosting some people over in the garage for a couple hours if they want to watch me brew a batch and discuss technique - I'd imagine it would even be beneficial for the more seasoned brewers in the group to get some insight into some other methodologies.

It would be cool if a couple people stepped up for this; i think it would be interesting to see how people have their own unique way of brewing beer. For me, brewing has become like clockwork, but i'm sure if I compared my technique to anyone else, every approach would be completely different. We may even learn a thing or two by observing eachother
President of the NBCBA

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:43:02 AM »
I think an open brew session would be a cool idea. I would have no problem hosting some people over in the garage for a couple hours if they want to watch me brew a batch and discuss technique - I'd imagine it would even be beneficial for the more seasoned brewers in the group to get some insight into some other methodologies.

It would be cool if a couple people stepped up for this; i think it would be interesting to see how people have their own unique way of brewing beer. For me, brewing has become like clockwork, but i'm sure if I compared my technique to anyone else, every approach would be completely different. We may even learn a thing or two by observing eachother

I'm all in for this. I would love to see a brew from start to finish, I feel like I still have so much to learn.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
This is turning into a much better idea than I had anticipated.  Of course, I know there are many people like me who are interested in all grain brewing, and of course seasoned brewers who will all benefit from method sharing.  I would be glad to take the lead in organizing this (it may become a regular thing too) as long as we have a few brewers willing to host.  Jake, you're in Freddy?  Thanks for the offer!
Cellar: Roseway Red, IPA, Brett IPA, Orval Clone, Brett Red, Rye IPA, Grapefruit PA

Offline Jake

• President
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
yes in Fredericton. I won't be able to do it for a couple weeks due to work, but maybe for one of the next meetings I could host and start the brew day around 10 or so; whoever wants to attend the brew day could attend and hopefully we could be finishing up around 2 when the meeting is starting
President of the NBCBA

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
The great thing about AG is its pretty hard to make bad beer I've found.

I get what you're saying Al and I think you’re maybe comparing AG vs canned kit

But good sanitation, temp control and a proper healthy yeast pitch are even more important than stepping up to AG imo.  I have friends that brew partial mash and make as good beers any AG beer.  It’s a good step up from the kits and good practice before going AG.  OBK now carries a great variety of good quality extract.  Brewer's Best kits are also very well made.

When somebody ask me how to brew, I make them do a few festabrew first to get the hang on sanitation and basic steps, then do some kits, then custom partial mash and finally all grain.

I know I live a bit far but anyone and their friends are welcome to my place for a brew session.  This summer I’ll brew almost every Thursday night and every time it’s like a meeting with sampling etc  Feel free to crash at my place

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
yes in Fredericton. I won't be able to do it for a couple weeks due to work, but maybe for one of the next meetings I could host and start the brew day around 10 or so; whoever wants to attend the brew day could attend and hopefully we could be finishing up around 2 when the meeting is starting

That sounds awesome, Jake.

Offline paulmaybee

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
Jamie, I agree, that's the best trajectory, and I'm on the last step now before AG, and I feel it's time to graduate.  I'm mostly interested in seeing and really understanding how people are using the specific equipment for AG before I upgrade my setup.  And where are you?  I'd love to see what you're up to. 

Cheers!   :cheers:

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
There’s many, many way to do AG (biab, cooler + fly sparge, cooler + batch sparge, etc)and once you’ve chosen the way you’re going to bew what’s important is get to know your setup very well to achieve consistency and predictability.  Brew as often as you can (3 gal batch are great size for experiment), take very good notes of every steps during brewday (mash in temp, mash temp, time, pitch temp, ferm temp, etc ) and when you encounter a problem ask us and we’ll do our best to help you  8)

I live in Grand-Falls

Offline Scott

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »
I did my first all grain yesterday, made a few mistakes (that i know of), but hoping for the best.
An opportunity to watch/help with a brew done by someone with experience would be great.