Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Winter Warmer  (Read 10195 times)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
Winter Warmer
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
OK, this is modified from Richard, Jakes and picaroons brew log.  Making it on Saturday and wonder if anyone has any comments to possible improve it.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Winter Warmer
Brewer: Mark Miller, Reid McLean
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 68.24 l
Post Boil Volume: 58.24 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 63.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 60.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.073 SG
Estimated Color: 22.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
40.00 g               Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   1        -             
9.06 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         2        42.8 %       
8.05 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)         Grain         3        38.0 %       
1.71 kg               Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM)               Grain         4        8.1 %         
0.92 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain         5        4.4 %         
0.69 kg               Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               Grain         6        3.3 %         
0.23 kg               Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         7        1.1 %         
0.50 kg               Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM)             Sugar         8        2.4 %         
204.33 g              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           9        34.1 IBUs     
130.85 g              Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           10       8.9 IBUs     
2.00 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          Other         11       -             
139.80 g              Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           12       0.0 IBUs     
3.3 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         13       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 21.17 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                                 Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 53.92 l of water at 75.7 C              68.9 C        45 min       

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.91l, 34.12l) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
Re: Winter Warmer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:43:19 PM »
I would highly recommend that you add the gypsum to the boil. Otherwise the PH of the mash will likely fall out of the "ideal" range.

I say this from experience.  Had to deal with 2 x 20gal brews not fermenting out all the way...when I say all the way i mean 2.8% when it should have been 5.5%.

Thought it was coincidence with the first 20gal, and it happened again on the next 20gal batch.  Confirmed with a brewmaster that PH would have caused this.  SG of the wort looked fine but the PH would have helped create more un fermentable sugar, hence the low abv.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:47:56 AM »
Intersting.  I have put it in both the mash water and the boil.  Will put only to boil from now on.  Does anyone add chalk to city water to alter the PH?

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »
Its pretty close to the one I just did, I never added any roasted barley to mine, but added a pound of caramunich 1. I never hit the IBU I really needed though. Taste good, but more malty than I would have liked, extra half ounce of FWH and it probably would have balanced it a bit better.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
I'd use 1968/002 in this instead of 05.  Just my preference.

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:03:09 AM »
Chris, was it close to Picaroons Winter Warmer?  I like the idea of a FWH and may add an ounce of pheonix.  We just purchased a brink of US-05 and S-04 from wineandbeerfilters so want to stick with the what we have.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
I only did this as part of the Solera project last winter, so it tasted like whiskey :)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
Yeah, after reading up on the Solera experiment, I can see why. :drunk:

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »
Intersting.  I have put it in both the mash water and the boil.  Will put only to boil from now on.  Does anyone add chalk to city water to alter the PH?

I've had to add 5g per 5GAL of chalk to hit burton on trent style water profile...it could have been this little bit of calcium chloride that affected the mash PH and not the calcium sulfate...but after wasting 40GAL, I just don't take the chance anymore.

I did however just get a good PH meter so I'm going to start taking PH readings of my source water, mash, and boil as yet another data point to track across multiple brew sessions...
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »
Well, I sampled this today and am realy happy with the results.  After a thunder mug of Winter Warmer at Cannon's Cross, and the fact that my winter warmer was a tad on the cold side, it hit the spot.  Good oolour, not too bitter, nice and malty without being overly sweet.  ABV arounbd 7.5% so definitly a warmer.  Will bring a taste to JohnQ's on Saturday.