Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Koodlik Fuel  (Read 6341 times)

Offline McKraken

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Koodlik Fuel
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
So I got the job as a Search and Rescue Technician with the Air Force, and will be switching over to a blue uniform this summer.  The course is almost a year long, and there will be no brewing for me for that time, since I will be pretty swamped, and all over the continent.  With that in mind, I brewed up a barleywine last month that I will try to serve on grad day, depending on logistics (it's here in my house now, and the grad parade is in BC).  

Here it is:

Koodlik Fuel (Formerly Free Fall Barleywine) (19C)

Date    
Batch Size   5.331 gal   Boil Size   7.775 gal
Boil Time   90.000 min   Efficiency   59%
Color   18.8SRM      

Pale Malt (2 Row)       
22.000 lb            
Crystal - 30L      1.000 lb            
Crystal - 60L      1.000 lb            
Chocolate Malt       4.000 oz            

Nugget   13.0%   3.000 oz      60.000 min      
Nugget   13.0%   2.000 oz      20.000 min      
Cascade   6.0%   1.000 oz      0.000 s      
Simcoe   13.0%   1.000 oz      0.000 s      
Wyeast - American Ale   1056-   Yeast cake      

OG   1.092      
Batch Size   5.500 gal      
After 3 days of fermentation I added 1.5 lb of dextrose.  That should bring the OG to 1.105

Current SG   1.020      

Calculated ABV 11.1%
I did a 90 minute mash at 150dF and a 100 min boil.  
I lost some of my first runnings too…my ball valve was open.

I might just age it until after the Arctic Phase of the course, since it definitely won't be a summer beer and grad day is next June.

P.S.

Entertaining SAR Tech video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInSQBV6QY

*Edit: Koodlik Fuel seems more appropriate, since there's more chance we'd use a Koodlik in the arctic than a parachute on the course.  That's a different story on actual operations though...*
Kevin McF.
On Tap - Nil
Aging - Koodlik Fuel 25/04/2013

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
Re: Free Fall Barleywine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
Congrats on the course man - that will be heavy! Hopefully you can let us know where the "opening" will be, looks like an intense drink...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline McKraken

• Liked:
Re: Free Fall Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »
Quote from: "brew"
that will be heavy! Hopefully you can let us know where the "opening" will be, looks like an intense drink...

That was the plan.  We'll be spending a bit of time in the arctic in February, so I was thinking we could use some warming up.  I kind of stole the idea of a high alcohol Barleywine for the arctic from Allsopp's Arctic Ale.
Kevin McF.
On Tap - Nil

Offline sdixon

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
Re: Koodlik Fuel
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
Congrats! Great video... I would love to have taken that path for a career.
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Offline McKraken

• Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:32:12 PM »
Quote from: "sdixon"
Congrats! Great video... I would love to have taken that path for a career.

Thanks! I've been jumping through hoops to get a chance to try out, it's good to see that hard work pay off.  

And I think your career path is the envy of everyone in the club :lol:

An update on this beer:

I racked it out of primary today after 3 weeks.  I racked it into a keg for bulk aging.  I also took a hydrometer sample which read 1.020.
With an adjusted OG of 1.105, that gives me 11.1% ABV (OG adjusted from 1.092 b/c 1.5lb Dextrose was added after 3 days of fermentation.)

My beer tasting skills aren't the best, but here goes nothing.

Look: It's got a nice dark brown, almost maroon colour.  I would compare it to cherry wood stain.

Aroma:  I like the citrus hop aroma I'm getting now (which I know will go away with aging) mixed with the raisiny, malty smell.  I can smell a bit of alcohol after the hops first hit, which is expected and will hopefully mellow out as well.

Flavour:  I can taste the alcohol at this stage in my room temperature, zero carb sample, but it's mostly in the aftertaste.  I get a good Hop Bitterness/Malt balance up front, but it gets wiped out by the alcohol in the finish.  It was intended to be aged, so that's what I expected.

Mouthfeel:  In my opinion it's medium to full bodied while not carbed and room temp.

Overall:  I think that as long as my sanitation was bang on and I didn't somehow expose it to too much oxygen, this beer is going to be pretty darn good after coming home from the Arctic Circle!  I may even try using it in a koodlik (or kudlik)

The photo makes it look darker than it is.  I filled the keg to about an inch below the brim and had this much left over.
Kevin McF.
On Tap - Nil

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
Nice review!  It’s something I’d like to start doing eventually with my brews.

Good luck with the job!