Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yeast suppliers  (Read 9877 times)

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Yeast suppliers
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
Where does everyone get their yeast?  Specifically Wyeast?  They have a few strains I really like.

In the past I’ve relied on noble grape in Fredericton. I took a bit of a break from brewing and now getting back into it I find their selection is lacking. I’m going to need to do a better job of planning ahead for brewing.

Somewhat related question. I have some older yeast in the fridge, it’s about a year old. How long is yeast good for?  Try a starter and see what happens?

Thanks

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
Re: Yeast suppliers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
You can google a yeast pitch calculator and it will tell you how big of a starter you need based on the age of the yeast. A year old isnt too bad.

We actually have quite a few options around here now if you're open to ordering online or traveling a little bit. If I'm making an order I'll usually plan 3 or 4 recipes in advance and order everything for them all at once. I order from who ever has the most of what I need for the lowest price.

East Coast Hoppers (PEI)
NB Craft Brewer's Market (Rothesay)
Everwood Ave Brew Shop (Halifax)
Ontario Beer Kegs (Ontario)

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:08:40 AM »
I get most of my yeast through the club. Most styles I use us-05 or s-04 but when I want something different I go to noble grape or some on line supplier. (OBK or Everwood usually)
 We used to have a yeast bank in the club with a wide variety of yeast slants to choose from. Bit it's a big undertaking for your average home brewer to get into. I think it would be a great side hobby for someone to get into. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to look into it.
If there's some strain you're looking for you might try to make a post about it. I've had great luck in the past within the club when I'm looking for a certain strain.
 :cheers:

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
When I get a new yeast, I save some of the starter into 50ml vials mix with 20-25% glycerine then freeze them.  They should be viable for a few years. It’s a good way to have a variety of yeast on hands. Just plan your starter a good week+ before brewday.  If you yeast is old you’re better stepping it up

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I don’t always plan brew days in advance very well, I was hoping I had overlooked a local source of yeast.

I haven’t tried saving yeast yet, guess it’s next on the list.

Thanks

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
I hear ya man, I'm guilty of the same thing. The selection of dry yeast now is getting really good so its not a bad idea to have a few packets handy for styles you like to brew often.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Would love to see one of the local shops start to carry Imperial Yeast.

Couple in TO that are now carrying it, so not so bad as only those in BC, but would be better if someone in the Maritimes carried it, so it wasn't making its way through the mail system for only a couple of days, instead of a week or more.

Offline eastcoasthoppers.ca

• Vendor
    • East Coast Hoppers
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:02:02 PM »

Couple in TO that are now carrying it, so not so bad as only those in BC, but would be better if someone in the Maritimes carried it, so it wasn't making its way through the mail system for only a couple of days, instead of a week or more.

I looked into bringing it in but with the USD to CAD exchange, shipping, brokerage and duty involved I'd have to sell it for about $20/pitch just to break even...  I went back and forth with them a bit back in the fall and they are supposed to be opening a second manufacturing facility in Chicago, which is much closer than Oregon (where they are currently operating from) and that should help with the high shipping costs.  The shipping quote I got from them for 25 pitches was $100 USD (or $4 USD per pitch).

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 12:39:30 PM »

I looked into bringing it in but with the USD to CAD exchange, shipping, brokerage and duty involved I'd have to sell it for about $20/pitch just to break even...  I went back and forth with them a bit back in the fall and they are supposed to be opening a second manufacturing facility in Chicago, which is much closer than Oregon (where they are currently operating from) and that should help with the high shipping costs.  The shipping quote I got from them for 25 pitches was $100 USD (or $4 USD per pitch).

The 2 locations in TO that have it, are selling it for about $11/pack.

However, if they are selling it that low, I bet they are having it shipped to a US address, and then picking it up there, saving on the shipping. The difference in shipping to TO vs PEI from Oregon wouldn't be that much difference....at least not $10/pack