Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Yeast suppliers  (Read 68 times)

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Yeast suppliers
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »
Where does everyone get their yeast?  Specifically Wyeast?  They have a few strains I really like.

In the past Iíve relied on noble grape in Fredericton. I took a bit of a break from brewing and now getting back into it I find their selection is lacking. Iím going to need to do a better job of planning ahead for brewing.

Somewhat related question. I have some older yeast in the fridge, itís about a year old. How long is yeast good for?  Try a starter and see what happens?

Thanks

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
Re: Yeast suppliers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »
You can google a yeast pitch calculator and it will tell you how big of a starter you need based on the age of the yeast. A year old isnt too bad.

We actually have quite a few options around here now if you're open to ordering online or traveling a little bit. If I'm making an order I'll usually plan 3 or 4 recipes in advance and order everything for them all at once. I order from who ever has the most of what I need for the lowest price.

East Coast Hoppers (PEI)
NB Craft Brewer's Market (Rothesay)
Everwood Ave Brew Shop (Halifax)
Ontario Beer Kegs (Ontario)

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1220
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:08:40 AM »
I get most of my yeast through the club. Most styles I use us-05 or s-04 but when I want something different I go to noble grape or some on line supplier. (OBK or Everwood usually)
 We used to have a yeast bank in the club with a wide variety of yeast slants to choose from. Bit it's a big undertaking for your average home brewer to get into. I think it would be a great side hobby for someone to get into. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to look into it.
If there's some strain you're looking for you might try to make a post about it. I've had great luck in the past within the club when I'm looking for a certain strain.
 :cheers:

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 694
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
When I get a new yeast, I save some of the starter into 50ml vials mix with 20-25% glycerine then freeze them.  They should be viable for a few years. Itís a good way to have a variety of yeast on hands. Just plan your starter a good week+ before brewday.  If you yeast is old youíre better stepping it up

Offline nbmonte

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I donít always plan brew days in advance very well, I was hoping I had overlooked a local source of yeast.

I havenít tried saving yeast yet, guess itís next on the list.

Thanks

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:39:52 AM »
I hear ya man, I'm guilty of the same thing. The selection of dry yeast now is getting really good so its not a bad idea to have a few packets handy for styles you like to brew often.