Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wyeast 3463 smells like rotten eggs.  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
Wyeast 3463 smells like rotten eggs.
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
So I brewed a 46 litre batch of witbier on Sunday.  One (2wit2wee) I added a wlp410 Belgian wit yeast. The other, (2wit2wuu), I added a wyeast 3463 forbidden fruit.  I checked them today and a terrible smell of sulphur/rotten eggs coming from the forbidden fruit carboy.  Was a little pissed at first thinking something was wrong but after a little google search, it turns out the this is a common occurrence  with this yeast during primary fermentation. Anyone else ever have this happen? I think I will let this one sit for a an extra week or so before conditioning.
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
Re: Wyeast 3463 smells like rotten eggs.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:49:54 AM »
I used 3463 a few times but I don’t remember that it smelled like rotten eggs.  What is the fermentation temp?  I usually start fermentation in the low 60s then let it ramp up slowly

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
It was about 18-19 C so mid 60's F but after reading some online forum stuff as well as the wyeast site, it states that primary fermantion should be at a higher temp range of ow 70's.  Anyway, all have said that the yeast will take care of the sulphur and the smell will go away after a wekk.

Reid

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »
Well, did some house keeping with the 6 carboys I have fermenting and glad to report that the witbier no longer smells of sulphur.  After 3 days the SG is 1.01 and my wife reports that it smells like summer.  All seems to be well.  Second carboy of witbier with WLP410 is still bubbling away and after a slight swirl last night I had to replace the airlock becouse of an overflow throuh the night.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:29 AM »
You'll have to get yourself a blow-off tube :)