Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for Wyeast Labs #PC-3864  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
Looking for Wyeast Labs #PC-3864
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:04:50 PM »
Hi All,

I want to try to brew a clone version of Unibroue's Blanch Chambly this weekend.  It calls for Wyeast 3864 which I cannot get at Noble Grape.  Any idea where I can get some besides the bottom of a Blanch Chambly bottle.  I am willing to try to use the bottle yeast but am not sure how to go about getting a starter going soon enough and how much I would need for a 5 gallon batch.
Fermenting: Air
On Tap: Hoppy Porter
Bottled:  Air

Offline chrismccull

• Club Technician
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Looking for Wyeast Labs #PC-3864
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
Did you try Scoop and Save?

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Hi Chris,  I did not know they carried Wyeast so I called but they don't have any.  Thanks

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
I have a washed yeast in the fridge, I can bring it to Fredericton in 2 weeks if you still want it then.

Unibroue use a different yeast strain for bottle conditioning.   3864 is a seasonal strain from wyeast

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
Hi Jamie, that would be great.  Would you suggest using the 3864 for primary fermantation and then maybe using some Blanch Chambly bottle yeast for bottle conditioning?  

Reid

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
I would suggest only using 3864 and don't bother re-yeasting at bottling.  You will need to make a starter because my washed yeast is a couple of months old

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:06:34 AM »
My understanding about bottle conditioned beer is that most of the time, a neutral yeast is used rather than the strain used to ferment the wort in the first place.  Obviously that's not always the case, but I'm sure it's a pretty common practice.

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
Well, looks like a coworker is getting some white labs belgium wheat yeast and will give me some for a starter.  Thanks for the offer Jamie but I think I can make a slight substitute with the yeast.

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:46 AM »
Good choice.  I’ve made a wit that I fermented 2 ways using 3864 and 3463.  3463 turn out slightly better, fruiter and more character than the 3864

Offline Waterlogged

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Reid
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:58 PM »
So I got a vial of white labs WL410 Belgium Wit bier Ale yeast with my order yesterday.  Before I try out the new 19 gal BUAB setup, I wanted to brew a final partial grain batch using a Unibrou Blanch Chambly clone recipe I got all the ingredients for.  So tonight, I decided to start a 2-liter starter to help get things going on Friday.  So to my surprise, when I opened the vial to add to the starter, the whole freaking thing foamed up and spilled into my sink.   I did manage to salvage about 10 percent of to contents.  I emailed OBK asking for the vial to be replaced.  I did shake it a bit but it looked pretty much like a liquid before I opened it. Anyway, I guess I will have to be much more careful next time and hope that scoop and save or Noble Grape has a replacement for me.  So jamie, your trip to Fredericton is getting closer and closer so maybe I will take you up on the Wyeast 3864.  Also, no activity yet in the harvested bottle yeast.