Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1056 is a Beast!  (Read 4802 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1056 is a Beast!
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »
Another batch on the weekend, first time using 1056 American Ale.

Did a starter, and even 2 days after making the starter, it was still working, so pitched it into the beer anyway, and 24hrs later my fermentor looks like this:

Thankful for the blow off tube instead of a normal airlock!!

Lots of krausen (which then reconstitutes into some beer) in the tube, which has now gotten into the bottle of starsan, and turned it milky, any point in changing the bottle of starsan out? Or just leave it go? Lots of positive CO2 pressure to keep anything from going back into the carboy, so no real issue with contamination that way I would think.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: 1056 is a Beast!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
It won't suck back into the carboy unless you cold crash the beer. I usually switch to a normal airlock once the krausen drops anyway, but that's not a necessary step.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:18:22 AM »
It won't suck back into the carboy unless you cold crash the beer. I usually switch to a normal airlock once the krausen drops anyway, but that's not a necessary step.
I concur with @Two Wheeler . I almost always use a blow off tube now for the first few days anyways. Saves a potential big mess. Looks like a nice healthy ferment though...  :cheers:

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 10:59:25 AM »
Same as with @Roger , I always use a blow off initially. It can save you hours of cleaning (I speak from experience on this unfortunately). When fermentation slows I switch over to a standard airlock.