Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Joinee.  (Read 5050 times)

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
New Joinee.
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
I'm new here, just wanted to say hi. Been brewing since early this year when my friend from Oregon got me a crapload of brewing equipment for my wedding present (all I had to buy was a boil-pot, a stirring spoon a primary bucket, and a second triple bubbler and stopper). He even bought me some pre-milled grain, dex, caps, and a capper so I could bottle my first two batches.

First batches went ok, (extract with steeped grain), but one got an infection. Tightened up my sanitation and haven't had an infection since.

I've been all-grain for four batches now. First two were a bit messed up (my fault), but I've tightened up my process and the last two have so far turned out great. My stout (59 bottles), and my amber (57 bottles) are currently bottle priming but I hit my OG's and FG's on the dot and my boil-volumes were spot on. The fermented product tastes great even if it isn't carbonated yet. As usual I'm jonesing for carbonation to complete. Damn bottle conditioning.

Got 4 cornies for christmas,... next build is a keezer. (Yep, it's an obsession)...

In the meantime to feed the obsession since a keezer is a bit out of my price range right now I'm going to build a stir-plate this weekend.

Been buying my grains/hops/kit at noble grape so far. Got those 4 cornies on a bogo deal so paid for two... basically turns out to be about $30.00 a pop for tested coke cornies with new seals and o-rings. Not a bad price.

A brew-friend of mine turned me on to this board... looks like I'm going to pay my dues and become a paying member ;).  So that leads me to a question, I'm willing to pay the $20.80 that it's gonna cost to become a member of the FCBA (I'd be stupid not to), but I'd rather not use paypal and snail-mailing a cheque for $20.80 is a pain in the rear... Can someone take interac email money transfer? :D. I noticed you're at the BMO, and BMO has interac email money transfers. You could direct deposit the transfer into the community account. I'd be happy to do this.

Also, since I'm without grain-mill bulk buys are a touch useless for me, I don't really have the cash to outlay for a grain mill at the moment (and NG mills my grains for free)... is there a "community mill", or would someone be willing to let me mill my grain using their mill on a semi-frequent basis ? (I only brew when I know my pipeline's going to go dry, so it wouldn't be that often, or that much).
Primary: #1, 2, 3, 4 (Air, Air, Air, Air)
Kegs     #1, 2, 3, 4 (C02, C02, C02, C02)

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
Re: New Joinee.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »
Just a head's up... I PM'd brew about this, so I'll wait to hear from him... if it's cool I'll pay the membership fee today. If it ain't I'll have to figure out another way.

As for the grain mill, if someone can help out there that'd be great. If not well, that's ok too, I can buy my grains in small batches for now from NG (prices are reasonable there anyway...) but I'd still pay $20.80 just to have access to the yeast library and potentially to bulk hop buys.

The savings there alone will help me pay for a grain mill in short order and then I can get in bulk grain buys too.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »
The communal grain-mill has come up several times at meetings; we'll put it to a vote and see if people want it.

Regarding the membership fee, just chuck it to one of the exec at your next meeting.

Who brought you here? Welcome :)
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »
Chris Craig did :).

The problem with chucking it at one of the execs next meeting is that I don't know when the next meeting is, or where.
I'm generally unavailable on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights. Any other night is fine, but those nights are
nights when I'm working on projects with a friend, or spending time with the soon to be wife (who's pregnant with our
fifth child!)

I was hoping email money transfer was possible but it isn't due to the account type. I'd happily wire the money to
any of the execs personally if they'd toss it in the pot for me :).

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
Also worthy of note is that I'm not just a computer hacker (that's my job), but I'm a software developer, and I'm capable of doing some hardware hacking as well. I make most of my own equipment, and modify tons of different things, and i'm pretty good with metals work and handy with a torch and pvc/abs for plumbing. As such if someone needs my help modding something let me know ;D

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:45:03 AM »
Welcome HappyHax0r,

No problem on the membership fee. As Brew will mention, our free account can't take email money transfers, but you can certainly do email money transfer to me personally if you and Brew have not aleady sorted that out. I'll PM you my email address.

I think it is time that the club get a community mill, we will poll the membership to see if they support it before going ahead. In the meantime, I'm sure you can borrow one if you post a request in the "General" forum.

After January 4th, you are welcome to borrow mine fo a few days, or to come by and mill at my place in the Forest Hill area.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »
Your resume reads a lot like mine :P
Charter Member

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »
Kyle: Sent, check your PM's for the password... my bank is BMO so it'll probably take a few hours before it arrives in your email box :D, because for some reason they're pretty slow with interac email money transfers.

Offline HappyHax0r

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
Quote from: "Richard"
Your resume reads a lot like mine :P

Interesting :)... who do you work for? :D <evilgrin>.

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
Myself... freelancer right now. Doing apps (web and smartphone) mostly at the moment.
Charter Member

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
Just saw your thread here now Happy - sorry I missed it but glad Kyle could help you out, and Richard I see has you added to the forum membership group now...

Welcome!  :drink:
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now