Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Guy here  (Read 4792 times)

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Guy here
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »
Just found this place, pretty cool.

Used to brew beer years ago, but mostly just used the kits you can find at Scoop & Save, Co-op, etc, (cans of goo instead of actual ingredients)

Would like to go to the next step with using raw ingredients. Found a couple of kits made by Rogue Brewing with the raw ingredients and might give that a go, more or less because they have everything broken down and detailed instructions on how to do it, thought it would be a good "starter" into making beer from scratch.

Anyone have any experience with these kits?

Also have the book "Homebrew Favorites" with lots of recipes in it, looks fairly straight forward, but then maybe it reads easier than it is.

Offline Al-Loves-Wine

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 194
Re: New Guy here
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Noble grape in F'ton sells partial mash kits which you can make with minimal equipment. I've done a few myself before I jumped into all grain, and they do make some decent beer. But all grain is actually quite easy as well once setup with the equipment. Seems intimidating at first, but after you've done a few batches and begin to grasp the concepts you'll be smiling. Lots of great brewers here on this forum, and plenty of good info and recipes.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Welcome!   :cheers:

If you want to see all grain brewing in action you should attend a "mash occur" we have one every so often it's a great time and you get to see first hand just how easy it really is. There's usually about 6 people brewing at the same time so you get to see that there are many different techniques to get the same result (geat beer). I was hesitant until I saw all gain brewing first hand and I decided to go for it. I'm glad I did!

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:53:47 PM »
Yeah, would be great to have a look at.

I guess the Rogue kit isn't a full grain kit...while it does come with "specialty grains" it also comes with dry malt and wheat extracts. Might be a good starting/graduation point from making the basic canned kits to full grain. Not sure.

Been awhile since I have made a kit at all to be honest.

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
I'm with Al.  Check out the extract kits from NG.  LME + specialty grains + hops.  Great step up from pre-hopped cans.

Welcome!

Offline JamesC

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »
Cheers, and welcome!  :cheers:

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
Welcome - for sure the extract kits are a great way to get into it - a number of folks here started that way...
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
Welcome to the club!
X3 for the partial mash kit. They are a step up from the festa brews and just a notch down from all grain.  You can make great beer with extract and you’ll learn the basics that you’ll need to know for all grain anyway.  You can even do your own kits if you want.   OBK now carries good quality LME like pilsen and munich, not just plain 2-row. 

I don’t know if they’re available in Freddy, but here my local homebrew store carries Brewer’s Best kits and imo they’re the best kits out there.  Good quality, fresh ingredients and well made

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
Welcome to the club!
X3 for the partial mash kit. They are a step up from the festa brews and just a notch down from all grain.  You can make great beer with extract and you’ll learn the basics that you’ll need to know for all grain anyway.  You can even do your own kits if you want.   OBK now carries good quality LME like pilsen and munich, not just plain 2-row. 

I don’t know if they’re available in Freddy, but here my local homebrew store carries Brewer’s Best kits and imo they’re the best kits out there.  Good quality, fresh ingredients and well made
I've seen the brewer's Best kits at the Wine Kits store.

Offline ECH

• Junior Poster
    • Elm City Hobbies
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »
Hey there guys,

OK, couple of things.

OBK, that is Ontario Beer Kegs? Was going to ask, but figured I could find it through google, and what do yah know, first hit, so I am assuming yes.

I haven't brewed anything in probably 7-8 yrs. Last one I did was a Raspberry beer, (tried to make a substitute for Mort Subite as it isn't available here), from a kit. I knew I had a couple of bottles left kicking around, couple in my beer fridge that has been there for at least 5yrs. Decided to crack one open last night, and wow, was pretty good. No Mort Subite, (not as sour, but not too sweet either), but was good enough for me. Now I have to look to see if I have any more, or if the one left in my fridge is the last. Date on the cap was 08/06, so not bad for something that has been kicking around for 8yrs! LOL Crystal clear, my wife tried it and her first reaction was "do you have any more?"

I do have a few 'cans' of brew, but they have probably been kicking around longer, think I will just dump them, but I do have this kit:

First, has anyone ever made one of these? It has never been opened, but says "all grain kit" on the box, but is a large bag of liquid inside (can feel it through the carrying handle hole), so I can't think it is actually grain, unless there is also grain in the bottom of the box.

Also, this is likely at least 6, if not 7yrs old. Would it still be good? I know the yeast (I am assuming dry yeast) is probably toast, but what about the rest of it? Worth trying to make? Or should I just pitch it?

Offline Chris Craig

• Charter Member
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Google+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 252
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:50:03 AM »
I haven't made the Oktoberfest, but when I started out a few years ago, I made one or two Brew House kits.  They're a step down from the Festabrew kits available at Noble Grape.  You are right, it's a bag of wort that you top up with water, ferment with Cooper's yeast, etc.

You won't lose anything but time by trying to make this kit, but I expect it won't be very good due to its age.  You're right about the yeast.  It's not likely any good.  If you do try this, go to NG and get a packet of Safale US-05.  It's a good, clean strain.  And, unlike Cooper's, there's enough cells in the US-05 packet to properly ferment 5 gallons of beer.