Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Moncton Area  (Read 6209 times)

Offline geezer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Moncton Area
« on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
   After many months of being a 'guest' on your forum, I would like to thank you all for the information you have provided from your archived posts. 
   Located in rural NB, near Moncton, and brewing into bottles using extracts, hops, and a twenty year old, well worn, copy of Papazian.  Wrestling with 5 gal carboys was becoming too difficult so the switch to kegs was finally implemented last year and the search for more  knowledge began.   - it is time to begin all grain brewing.
   Bought a Grainfather in November and have used it for several extract/steeped grains brews then tried 2 small 3 gal SMASH last weekend as this seemed the best way to learn AG.  Expecting it will take a long time and lots of advice to master the basics of the craft. Hope to benifit from your knowledge and experience.

Terry

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Re: Moncton Area
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:11 AM »
Welcome! I'd like to hear your impressions on your Grainfather.
Lee

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
Welcome! Agreed, what do you think of the Grainfather? Mine arrived yesterday but was missing a single piece; so I'm still waiting to try it out!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:12:48 AM »
Welcome

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! I know I was very intimidated when switching to all-grain, but it was a lot easier than I imagined. Interested in hearing about the Grainfather!
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline geezer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »
   Grainfather seems great for those with limited space and who only plan 5-6L batches.  Intelligent design, quality of build seems adequate. very easy to use and clean.
   Have used it for several extract/steeped grain brews and 2 small 3gal  SMASH brews last weekend to get familiar with AG.  2row/Cascade SMASH aiming for 13L of 1.040 in fermenter - got 13.5 of 1.048.  MO/Citra SMASH aim for 13L of 1.040 - got 14L of 1.050.

What I learned:

-grainfather might not like small batches, or more likely  my technique was off, or pre-milled grain too coarse,  Sparge water ran thru immediatly, spent grains still sweet tasting, wort not as clear as expected.
-getting to mash-in temp no problem as just wheeled it to 5700watt coffee brewer and tap off hot water
-bringing wort to boil quite slow (30 min for 16L pre boil volume) giving time to clean cylinder.  Boil not vigorous but seems quite adequate.
-I want one of those neoprene parkas (graincoat) to shorten ramp up to boil.

Terry

Offline geezer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
Sorry, obvious mistake, only 5 - 6 gallon batches.

Offline Cuba

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
I think I remember reading something in the manual about a different technique to use while brewing batches under a certain volume.

Did you have any issues with hops blocking the pump filter? Thats my biggest concern.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »
Welcome!  :cheers:
That Grainfather looks interesting. I look forward to hearing about it.

Offline geezer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »
   The AG batces were only small with light hopping.  Did a extract/steep kit in the grainfather that had been sitting in the basement forever (Betterbrew IPA), around New Year, and used 3.5 oz of pellets, no problem with filter plugging (however I seem to have a ferment problem as it is still at 1.020 - after 3 weeks primary 62F, and now a week in a keg with 7psi and a spunding valve). 
   I had thought that a hop basket might be wise but there seems to be mixed reviews on them.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
   The AG batces were only small with light hopping.  Did a extract/steep kit in the grainfather that had been sitting in the basement forever (Betterbrew IPA), around New Year, and used 3.5 oz of pellets, no problem with filter plugging (however I seem to have a ferment problem as it is still at 1.020 - after 3 weeks primary 62F, and now a week in a keg with 7psi and a spunding valve). 
   I had thought that a hop basket might be wise but there seems to be mixed reviews on them.
If your fermentation was stuck at 62F you could have tried raising the temp to 70F to see if it would drop another few points.

Offline geezer

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »
   Also have the 2 SMASH brews fermenting in the same area, day 5 at 60F - 62F (pitched a fresh 05 as room is a bit cold and the specs said it would ferment to mid 50s).  They are down from 1.050 to 1.020 and I expect to finish quick.  Can then go to 70 to clean up SMASH and see if it wakes the IPA.
   I that does not do it might try yeast nutrient but I hate to open the keg.  Certainly do not want to shake it.