Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from St. Andrews  (Read 5903 times)

Offline adebertin

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello from St. Andrews
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »
Happy to join the forum and see what other brewers in NB are up to. Could you make my username as adebertin ?

I'm from St. Stephen originally and moved back to St. Andrews for work. I started homebrewing last year in Guelph as there was a good brew shop in the city to buy supplies and equipment.

My setup is really cheap but it makes good beer.
I just started crushing my own grain and noticed a 5 to 10% increase in efficiency. I create 5 gallons of beer using  BIAB all-grain batches in a 7 gallon kettle. I use a 1800 watt induction cooktop ($150) to heat up the kettle for mashing and boiling. It's a little slow to heat, (maybe 30 minutes to get to a boil) but faster and more even heat then a stovetop surface. Plus I can brew outside easily with an extension cord. It also allows me to keep the mash at proper temperatures as you can dial the wattage of kettle directly.

I then let the beer cool in a sealed plastic bucket overnight, I then transfer the beer into a glass carboy to get rid of the trub and ferment for ~2 weeks. I transfer to secondary as I fine it helps with clarity and then bottle into swing top bottles.

Preferred styles are German or Belgian in origin with the occasional IPA, bitter or stout.  Latest brews that are bubbling are my take on Maibock, Vienna and Munich Dunkel lagers.

Cheers.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
Re: Hello from St. Andrews
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:36:39 PM »
Welcome Allan!  :cheers:

How do you find the "no chill" method works?
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline adebertin

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:09 PM »
I haven't had an issue with "no chill". I always start with a sanitized bucket and keep it sealed until I transfer the wort into a primary carboy the following day. The trub settles out during the no chill, so i can easily transfer beer to primary carboy for better clarity.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
I haven't had an issue with "no chill". I always start with a sanitized bucket and keep it sealed until I transfer the wort into a primary carboy the following day. The trub settles out during the no chill, so i can easily transfer beer to primary carboy for better clarity.

I like no chill i play with it from time to time. And welcome

Offline pliny

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 250
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:18:30 PM »
Welcome @adebertin Charlotte County is some pretty country.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
Welcome!  :cheers:

Offline feldmann

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »
Welcome!

I've considered 'no chill' recently because I rarely have time on the weekends, so I was planning a brew in stages over a day or two. Its nice to hear 'no-chill' methods working for other people.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »
Welcome!

I've considered 'no chill' recently because I rarely have time on the weekends, so I was planning a brew in stages over a day or two. Its nice to hear 'no-chill' methods working for other people.
Brulosophy did a post on this a while back. http://brulosophy.com/2015/11/09/cooling-the-wort-pt-1-no-chill-vs-quick-chill-exbeeriment-results/

I used to split my brew days when I was short on time. I'd mash and collect my wort, bring it up to 180F, take it off the heat, put the lid on and finish the boil the next day.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline redroast

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »
Welcome!

I am just getting into lagers myself. I have two Marzens on the go and was eyeing up a Maibock.

What are you using for temperature control? Myself, I use a really cold basement. lol.

Offline mikegraham

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:35:14 PM »
Welcome!

I am just getting into lagers myself. I have two Marzens on the go and was eyeing up a Maibock.

What are you using for temperature control? Myself, I use a really cold basement. lol.
My last lager was in my basenment at about 14c than turned on a space heater and gradually increased the temp at the end for a few days. Best lager i have brewed yet

Offline Tim

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
I avoided brewing lagers for years but gave it a shot after reading http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/. I was pretty happy with the results using W34/70 at 16-18C in the basement coldroom.

Offline redroast

• NBCBA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 04:46:18 PM »
I avoided brewing lagers for years but gave it a shot after reading http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fermentation-temperature-pt-4-lager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/. I was pretty happy with the results using W34/70 at 16-18C in the basement coldroom.

I read that too; that's the exact reason I gave lagers a try! So far so good.