Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Coors light  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • 2 stroke motorcycles and mountain bikes
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Coors light
« on: November 26, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
Hey I just registered here so I can make my own Coors light and save money, just kidding.  ;D

The other day I was in the lineup to be served at Grimross and someone behind me asked the owner (I assume he was the owner anyway) how he was doing and he replied "living the dream". It made me think that I could add some dream living in my life, not that I plan on selling beer or starting a business, but I could brew my own stuff and enjoy it.

I have no idea what I am doing so I bought the overpriced kit white IPA at Chapters and whatched youtube videos.

I don't know much about beer, but I know I like IPA.

Offline brew

• Treasurer
  • Administrator
  • Forum Ninja
  • Mild mannered suburbian
    • Google Plus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 652
Re: Coors light
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Glad to have you with us Alain. I've never tried the kit but it looks interesting for sure. I know @jdueck has done the 1 G batches before and has had some pretty nice beers come out of it. I think he's made a few adjustments to his process but its a nice way to get started. Lots of people on the forums here can help out if you like as well...

The owner at Grimross, Steve, is a great guy. He came through the club as a "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewer and has always made very nice beers.
NBCBA Treasurer
Planned: Drink beer later, Primary: Drink beer soon, Secondary: Drink beer shortly, Kegged: Drinking beer now

Offline DandyMason

• Club Technician
  • CTBM
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 340
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:50:30 PM »
Welcome Alain, I too like IPA!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »
Hey Alain. Welcome! You should really come to a meeting and discuss brewing and sample beer. It's a great hobby when you get into it. You seem to enjoy the beer a little more when you make it yourself. Feel free to ask questions. Believe me, no one has asked more stupid questions more often than I have.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 04:39:37 PM »
Welcome to the club! Questions always welcome and meetings are a great time for sampling and asking more questions.  :cheers:

Offline blisster

• Executive
  • Senior Poster
  • Got Hops?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
Welcome Alain.

You've come to the right place.. Lots of good info here and a great bunch of guys making awesome beer!

I hope you can come to a meeting soon. Forget the Coors light though, that might get you banned  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:06:59 PM by blisster »
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him how to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime.

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »
Welcome! Lots of great folks in the club who love to help. There are so many different ways that we all brew too.
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline jamie_savoie

• Yeast Curator
  • NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 765
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
Welcome Alain!  8)

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome. I did my first batch Friday evening, it went pretty good I had fun brewing. I decided to buy equipment to make a 5 gallon batch, because the 1 gallon is only going to be enough for all the people who already asked me to taste it.

The only problem I had is the mash temperature went up a bit to 160f. The instructions said to apply heat "on and off", I did but I was not taking the temperature properly and the bottom of the pot was too hot for a while until I found out.
JDueck told me is going to be sweeter with less alcohol, I hope it not going to taste like diet coke.
Next time I mash better and use a big cooler instead of a cooking pot!

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 12:04:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome. I did my first batch Friday evening, it went pretty good I had fun brewing. I decided to buy equipment to make a 5 gallon batch, because the 1 gallon is only going to be enough for all the people who already asked me to taste it.

The only problem I had is the mash temperature went up a bit to 160f. The instructions said to apply heat "on and off", I did but I was not taking the temperature properly and the bottom of the pot was too hot for a while until I found out.
JDueck told me is going to be sweeter with less alcohol, I hope it not going to taste like diet coke.
Next time I mash better and use a big cooler instead of a cooking pot!

Did you jump right into all grain brewing? Or was this a kit from noble grape?

Offline Alain2

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
It is not a kit from Noble Grape, it was a kit from Chapters.

It had grains (already milled) in a bag, a vacuum sealed pack of hops and a pack of yeast. Is that all grain brewing?

Offline Two Wheeler

• Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • NBCBA VP
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 864
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
Yes sir it is!  And you should be fine with the temp, 160 isn't that bad.

For your bigger batches, you can now go to Noble Grape and purchase/mill your own grain. You can also join in the club group buys where we'll order full bags of base malts and split up small bags of specialty malts. It's a great way to save money and have ingredients on hand. You'll need to buy or borrow a mill though.

Welcome to the addiction
Jordan Harris
BIAB'er

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 01:41:50 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised it didn't come with any malt extract. 160 is high but it'll be fine. The final gravity may finish a little high.

As Two Wheeler said, welcome to the addiction. There's something very satisfying about enjoying a beer you brewed yourself.