Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Would it be safe to....  (Read 2417 times)

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Would it be safe to....
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
Fill half the barrel with 20 gallons of Vienna IPA, flush with CO2, put the bung in and leave it for 4 weeks before adding IIPA?

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline jeffsmith

• Junior Poster
    • http://jeffsmith.me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Would it be safe to....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
Is it a used barrel? I'd be worried about it possibly drying out (and subsequently leaking).

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
I'm not worried about leakage, it's been empty for a while but is sealed tight with the bung and has a whisky coating on the inside, with another whisky coating to be applied prior to the beer going in. Though, maybe I should be worried about drying, not sure...fakr? Tom?
It will be fully sealed and stored at 55F, as it is now.
I'm more concerned about possible oxidization, but think that a full CO2 Flush should fix that. Especially since the beer will already be CO2 rich before going in and will likely be slowly giving up the CO2 from solution.
JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
Tom and Fakr are the only ones with relevant experience here.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
We flushed the keg with CO2 after adding the first 15GAL.  We added 15GAL every 2 weeks, with a CO2 flush after each.

I kegged the remaining of my half of the barrel 2.5 months after the first 15GAL was added.  No issues with the beer other than the whisky flavor becomming stronger and stronger with each keg I pulled out.

We also weren't able to keep the keg at a constant temp as it was in my garage.  The garage hit temps of up to 30C at times, which I think probably affected the taste of the beer, but it's still pretty damn good.

I wouldn't worry about the barrel drying out or being infected.  they are completely saturated with 60%+ Whisky.

If I could do it again, I would have started in the fall, so the temp wouldn't have reached so high in the garage.  Probably would have even built a quick box around it with a small space heater to keep it up around 10C.

Tom and I discussed reusing the barrel (if we can find a solid method for cleaning and sterilizing it) to make a lambic...and let it age all winterspring...bottling or kegging in the late spring when the temp gets up there in the garage.
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »
Just added half a bottle of Talisker to the barrel, swished it...soaked it up...another quarter bottle...swish, soaked it up...what the hell, the rest of a new bottle in there...
Going to add the Vienna IPA later tonight or first thing tomorrow.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps: