Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Volume and Temp Calculations  (Read 5212 times)

Offline d_hilchie

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Volume and Temp Calculations
« on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:06 PM »
I picked up my ingredients from nbcbm.ca today for the Hefe and now I'm trying to work out my calculations by hand :facepalm: I have put in my notes below if anything seems super wonky could you let me know. I copied the OBK Hefeweizen (3.25 US Gal) kit so I am using that as my guideline for volume (I realize I may be over thinking some things but thats half the fun).

Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (1 oz)   
Wheat Malt - OiO (1 lb) *Crushed*   
Pilsner Malt - Weyermann (1 lb) *Crushed*       
Fermentis WB-06 Weizen Dry Ale Yeast 

Grain Weight:   2 (lb)
Mash Water/Grain Ratio:   1.5 quarts per pound
First Rest Temperature:   154 (F)
Grain Temperature:   70 (F)

Volume of strike water:   0.62 (Gallons)
Temperature of strike water:   167.5 (F)

0.62 gal strike @ 167.5f (using 1.5 quarts per pound)
-0.25 gal  to grain absorption
 0.62gal - 0.25 gal = 0.37 gal comes out

3.25 desired  final volume + 1.5 gal (evaporation) + 0.13 gal (4% wort shrinkage) +0.1 gal (trub loss)= 4.98 gal of wort in pot

Therefore

4.98 gal - 0.37 gal  = 4.61 Sparge water @ 180f

After sparge boil for 60 mins adding Czech Saaz Hop Pellets (1 oz)   at if first

Cool off will take place in an ice bath stirring ice water and the wort.

The rest of the processes I have done before the only difference is that I will have 3.25 gal sitting in a 5 gal carboy rather than the 5 gal like I am use to. I don't plan on doing a secondary there fore there should be enough CO2 to fill the headspace.

All thoughts and recommendations are appreciated!

Offline shazapple

• NBCBA
  • Junior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 417
Re: Volume and Temp Calculations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
Are you sure about your grain amounts? I took a quick look at the recipe and it lists 6lbs of pilsner and 6lbs of wheat. That would change your grain absorption a fair amount.

Also I think you have strike water and sparge water mixed up. I'm not a sparger but I'm thinking you need more in the range of 4.5gal of strike water.

I use www.brewersfriend.com to formulate my recipes. I have a paid account but the free one lets you make recipes and automatically calculates a lot of the water requirements (and ABV, IBU, etc).
Lee

Offline d_hilchie

• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out!! I didn't realize there was a "quantity 3" next to the Wheat Malt - OiO (1 lb) *Crushed*  and  Pilsner Malt - Weyermann (1 lb) *Crushed*   :facepalm:

There are 6 lbs of grain in total as I'm am only doing a 3.25 gal batch so I did a quick re calculation

Volume of strike water:
2.25 gal

Temperature of strike water:
162.5 (F)

This seems to make more sense, yes?

I'll recalculate everything else later this weekend.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
Do not sparge @180F. You are at risk of astringency at that temp. Reduce sparge water temp to 165-168F.

Again, I recommend BeerSmith for your recipe creation. There is a 21 free trial, download it and plug in your recipe.

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
I always mash with 180 degree water. It's not hot enough to bring the total mash temp to 168(mash out) during the sparge I'm usually under 160. A total mash temp of over 168-170 is what could cause astingency not sparge water temp. At least from my understanding of lautering anyways.

Offline robcoombs

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 703
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:08 PM »
I always mash with 180 degree water. It's not hot enough to bring the total mash temp to 168(mash out) during the sparge I'm usually under 160. A total mash temp of over 168-170 is what could cause astingency not sparge water temp. At least from my understanding of lautering anyways.
I think this comes down to a difference in process. I mash out and raise the grain bed to 165F. If I then sparge with 180F water I would push the temp too high, possibly causing astringency as a result.

I should really remember to ask about process prior to weighing in. My bad.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Roger

• Vice President
  • Executive
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1409
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
That's one of the fun things about home brewing. We all do things a bit differently.