Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spunding  (Read 8669 times)

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • ...Official Club A$$hole... ...We only need one...
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Spunding
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
I know that Kyle has just started spunding his first batch, anybody else try it yet?
Results?

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on the 12 step program...
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Travelling: Vienna Pale @ RB's; NB55 @ Fakr's
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout
In the BH's: 1. Empty 2. WW, STILL! 3. Empty
Aging: Lots and Lots of Mead for Samples

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Spunding
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »
Next batch I'm doing will be an IPA using the valve... likely some time later this week.
Charter Member

Kegged: air.
Primary: air.
Bulk Aging: Silence of the Lambics (Pitched 13/05/2012).
Owed: JQ LSA x 1, Kyle Stout x 1 & IPA x 1.

Offline sdixon

• NBCBA
  • Senior Poster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
Don't know what it is. I have heard of spelunking though.
"Good people drink good beer"
Hunter S. Thompson

On Tap]

Offline Gil Breau

• Junior Poster
    • http://drakemarshbrew.blogspot.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »
Still debating on whether to make the pilsner in the spunding keg at a higher temp or make it in the fermentation chamber I've almost got finished...

If I hold off, the next ale's definitely going in it.
My Brew Blog!
http://drakemarshbrew.blogspot.com/

Current on Tap: Maple Ale, Blonde Lager. "Pils" Ale, Chocolate Sweet Stout, Hefe
Fermenting/Priming:
Projects:Strawberry-Rhubarb Hefe

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 280
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 02:21:46 PM »
mine is making a steady      sssssssssssssssssssssssss   noise now.
Charter Member

On Tap: DIPA, Vienna SMaSH, Imp Stout
Planned: IPA
Fermenting: --

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:21 PM »
Quote from: "Gil Breau"
Still debating on whether to make the pilsner in the spunding keg at a higher temp or make it in the fermentation chamber I've almost got finished...

If I hold off, the next ale's definitely going in it.

Somewhere in the vast array of pages I was reading on pressure fermenting, that was one of the things I found, though i didn't research that vein much further.  They were claiming that a microbrewery somewhere uses pressure to increase the temps on all they do for various reasons, but in short, higher temp was regarded as a benefit n this situation.
I'm still trying to tell my arse from a hole in the ground so shelved the line of investigation until I figured out the basics.

JQ
Charter Member
I'm on Step 1 - I've admitted I have a problem...and if you're reading this, so do you!

On Tap: 1. MT; 2. PartiGyle Barley Wine; 3. MT; 4. MT; 5. Obiwan Kanobe 6. Pollen Angels TM Base; 7. MT  8. MT
Visiting Taps:
Recent Visitors: CMC Graham Cracker Brown, Fakr's Warrior AGDTDiPA; Brew's SNPA; Brew's C^3, Fakr's Stout

Offline Gil Breau

• Junior Poster
    • http://drakemarshbrew.blogspot.com/
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »
I'm intrigued. I know I mentioned to you that I researched some on various lagering techniques, and pressure lagering was supposed to speed up the clarification process from 4-6weeks to half that time. I never noticed anything about the temp though.

I always thought though, that the point was that higher temps = more yeast flavor = bad in lager (especially super strict pilsners)

Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. I want the Pils done for the start of December, so I should get on it and try the tecnique out this weekend.
My Brew Blog!
http://drakemarshbrew.blogspot.com/

Current on Tap: Maple Ale, Blonde Lager. "Pils" Ale, Chocolate Sweet Stout, Hefe
Fermenting/Priming:
Projects:Strawberry-Rhubarb Hefe

Offline fakr

• Administrator
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:25 PM »
Just started my first fermentation using the spunding valve John.  I used Richard's black IPA recipe, and used a little bit more sparge water to get a post boil volume of about 26L, then transferred to 2 kegs (roughly 13L in each).  Using a little 2 port manifold so I can use the spunding valve on both of them.  I'm thinking lots of headroom so no worries about krausen spray, but put the spunding valve in a bucket with a lid just in case.   Made and pitched the batch yesterday and today it's hissing away nicely.

Very excited about his John, after tasting Richard's black IPA, then your competition IPA last weekend, this is going to be AWESOME!

Not to go too off topic, but I was thinking about the whole benifit of using a spunding valve to mimic the pressure on the yeast cake in a big brewery.  I was also thinking of the krausening technique that a lot of German (and other) breweries do where they pitch a small yeast starter in the secondary fermenter to clean up the beer....and I thought to myself...that's pretty much what's going to happen when I transfer from the primary keg to the secondary.  Sure, I'm going to pour out the first pint or so of beer as it's a bunch of yeast slurry, but there's still going to be a fair amount go into the secondary....which would mimic the krausening technique....correct?  So maybe that has a good part to do with why your pressure fermented IPA was so damn good?
"If God had intended for us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 11:33:59 PM »
So far as I understand it the krausening technique relies on yeast that is at a peak of activity in fermentation, which would differ from the state of yeast that might be expelled during transfer after primary had finished. I'm pretty sure the effect cell-for-cell would be considerably different.

Also the yeast left after fermenting beer that strong would not be as viable as the yeast during active fermentation of a lower-ABV beer.

Certainly having viable yeast around would help to clean up the beer in any event, but I'm struggling to see how the situation you describe would differ from rousing the yeast in a normal primary fermentation vessel. Just going off what I've read and seen, I'm not sure how well documented this spunding stuff is ;)

Glad you liked my recipe - very interested to see how it turns out with the spunding valve :)
Charter Member

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:28:20 AM »
Well,

S-04 is always fast, but with the spunding valve, when I woke up this morning, it was done fermenting (pitched Sunday around 6pm).

Unfortunately I initially put the contraption on the liquid-out post, for about 3 or four hours. So it got some gunk in it. What is the suggested way to dissasemble and clean the spunding valve?
Charter Member

Offline Dave Savoie

• NBCBA
  • Forum Hero
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
need to install a hydrometer on the side of the keg :P
Charter Member

Offline Richard

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
Quote from: "Kyle"
Unfortunately I initially put the contraption on the liquid-out post

:lol:

Kinda surprised that 3-4 hours was enough to get pressure from the yeast though.
Charter Member

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
Me too, but it was just a trickle, also possibly acting as a syphon.

Anyways the solution to cleaning trub out of the spunding valve:I took a 2" peice of the silicone wort transfer hose, pushed it over the top of the valve, then looked for the 4 holes in the valve, and cut one hole in the hose that lined up with one of them. Hooked up an empty (rinsed and dried) keg to my fridge, and shoved the other end of the hose over the draft tap, turned it on. Repeated 8 timers, meaning two rotations, so that each of the four holes was the only air escape at two times, gave each time a couple second C02 Blast.

fixed.

The seperate pressure guage on the other hand... I'll be getting a new one of those.
Charter Member

Offline JohnQ

• Order Exec
  • Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
    • Sunset Heights Meadery
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:12 PM »
Quote from: "Kyle"

The seperate pressure guage on the other hand... I'll be getting a new one of those.

I can pick up a replacement if you'd like.

JQ
Charter Member

Visiting Taps:

Offline Kyle

• Charter Member
  • Forum Ninja
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
That would be amazing. Actually, get 2 if you don't mind, I have a busted regulator guage as well. Let me know how much I owe you.

I'm also going to put one of those water filter housings (minus the filter) in line so no more goo goes in the spunding thing.
Charter Member